Removing stock ram sinks from a 6600GT

Anime_Fan

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus 6600GT that came with stock ram sinks. I am purchasing the zalman cu-700 vga cooler and would like to use the ram sinks they supplied as I am sure they are slightly better than the stock ones. So are these easily removable or what?

I've heard that the effects of ramsinks are possibly negligible as is (especially with that large fan that should cool the surrounding components). If it seems like too big of a hassle to take them off (wouldnt know because ive never done so), then id say dont bother...

the VF700 series ramsinks are not going to be any better than the stock ones because they are smaller and are aluminum.

The above poster was correct anyway. You gain very little with ramsinks. You can gain WAY more memory clocks by cooling the GPU better because that is where the memory controller resides.

Yeah I didnt think I would gain much more anyway but I cant get this card past 1050 mem clock stable. I am just getting frustrated as it seems most people are at least able to go 1100 with relative ease.

I'd just like to know if the zalman will fit with the stock ram sinks on board because I think the stock ram sinks are a little taller than the ones zalman provides.

cut them to the needed height. I presume you are voiding your warranty anyway by using an aftermarket cooler, so just cut them.

Second one. The PCI-E one. Only it didnt cost me $204 from newegg I got it for like $168 I believe.

Back