Removing Parallel/Serial Ports?

psxpaul

Limp Gawd
Hey, I think I saw a project here where someone physically removed the parallel and serial ports from his motherboard in order to save on room. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about or have a link to something similar? I need the extra space for my next project, so I was thinking of doing it, but I don't want to screw my board up. Thanks.

I've sucessfully done this on a board i'm using as a router. Took everything off except the PS/2 Ports. Didn't even de-solder, just ripped them off. YMMV

Why desolder? It's not like you run the risk of ripping internal traces in a multi-layer PCB or anything.........lolol

Some Soder-Wick will come in handy here, I think.............:)

Too bad the guy thought he needed all nine pins. I never run into anything that needs the RTS/CTS pins anymore - just the TXD / RXD and ground.

Originally posted by Adisharr
Too bad the guy thought he needed all nine pins. I never run into anything that needs the RTS/CTS pins anymore - just the TXD / RXD and ground.
I wish I had the guts to do that right now. I guess I should start working on my soldering agian.

Originally posted by Adisharr

My BG Micro 20x2 needed only one pin from the serial connectior.

... Well, this is also the board that I took my dremmel's sanding discs to the sides to remove ~1cm from each side to make it fit in my mod :)

Pentium Pro 200, runs great, well for a router!

Back