• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

removing old thermal paste stuff

oOo sam lee oOo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
297
i wanted to take off the heatsink of my p4 that i have now, and take off the old thermal paste crap and put on some artic silver 5, but how would i go about taking the old stuff off? (cheap is good. :p )

thanks
 
Q-Tip or a cotten ball, and some rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover will do the job. ;)
 
I use sandpaper generally

(relap)

is it a grease or a phase change TIM?
 
WD40 followed up with rubbin alcohol. That's what I used to use when I worked at a Mom and Pop shop. If it's not the pink bubblegum crap like AMD used to use on their OEM heatsinks, just spray the WD40 on a paper towel first and wipe the heatsink clean, then clean off the residual WD40 with rubbing alcohol on another paper towel. If only use a little WD40 on an edge, you can use the same towel for both steps.
 
when Im cleaning up grease inbetween remounts
I use Heptane (Residue after Evaporation 0.001%), but acetone (nail polish remover) and Isopropyl alcohol are nearly as good

but if its a phase change TIM (Thermal Interface Material) that melts into the micro-valleys of the metal
I relap, I also relap when radically changing the type of thermal grease
avoiding compounding the two
 
Ice Czar said:
when Im cleaning up grease inbetween remounts
I use Heptane, but acetone (nail polish remover) and Isopropyl alcohol are just as good

but if its a phase change TIM (Thermal Interface Material) that melts into the micro-valleys of the metal
I relap, I also relap when radically changing the type of thermal grease
avoiding compounding the two

seems like a lots of work man lol just for a cpu. :p
 
well I generally avoid any phase change TIMs
and I tend to stick to the same thermal paste as well
relapping isnt hard its just tedious
 
The_Mage18 said:
WD40 followed up with rubbin alcohol. That's what I used to use when I worked at a Mom and Pop shop. If it's not the pink bubblegum crap like AMD used to use on their OEM heatsinks, just spray the WD40 on a paper towel first and wipe the heatsink clean, then clean off the residual WD40 with rubbing alcohol on another paper towel. If only use a little WD40 on an edge, you can use the same towel for both steps.

you used WD40 on your chip too?
 
ok well, ill see what i can get first..maybe ill just get the arctic silver company's cleaning thing.. :p

so without getting the stuff off yet, i went to fry's to get some thermal compound. in my mind, i was thinking arctic silver 5 cuz i heard it was really good. but we go there, and theres none in stock. so my dad just says, "just get this one....will it work?" i respond yes. "then just get it". i tell him its his money, so i just reluctantly get it..

its made by a company called MGE, and searching online, and around here a bit, i see that they make cases and psu's, but i dont think i saw any of this thermal compound on their site. I see that as a red flag. then i see the instructions, and theres 3 or 4 typos. second red flag. (am i just being paranoid? cuz i see that as not caring about quality enough to spell check instructions) then, the instructions are completely different from arctic silver 5's. it tells me to put the stuff on the cpu, and then spread it with the card given. i have no experience with any thermal compound at all, so...is this ok?

i just wanted to know cuz i dont wanna put some crap quality stuff in my computer.

...i should've ordered the AS5 online...
 
rubbing alcohol will do you fine, i don't know why you'd use wd40 and rubbing alcohol... simplify it and just use rubbing alcohol...
 
Elysian said:
rubbing alcohol will do you fine, i don't know why you'd use wd40 and rubbing alcohol... simplify it and just use rubbing alcohol...

^ ditto ^

alcohol will evaporate over time, WD40 wont, I don’t suggest using WD40 at all. ;)
 
All newer CPU's have a solid shroud covering the core.First while the CPU sits in the socket I use some good ole BOUNTY paper towel to pick the majority of the paste.

Next whipe the CPU top with alcohol,a few times until the paper no longer has paste marks.Works with all pastes including Arctic Silver.

No WD40 needed,as WD40 leaves traces and alcohol does not.You want a clean CPU/heatsink to apply fresh goop.Nothing more
 
nealio said:
you used WD40 on your chip too?

People, calm down! No I don't use WD40 on the chip, just the heatsink.

I used WD40 because it disolves just about any IM including the pink bubblegum crap and black on foil stuff heatsink makers used to put on their heatsinks.

Yes, it leaves a residue, that's what the rubbing alcohol is for, to remove it.
 
Back
Top