removing HP Recovery drive?

mdude85

Limp Gawd
I purchased an HP Media PC that came preloaded with an HP Recovery drive partition (10 GB). I would actually like to delete the file on this drive and install a copy of Windows XP on that partition. I think Windows Vista comes with a pretty sufficient recovery tool. Do you think it's safe to remove this file? I also plan on reformatting my HD every 6 months or so.

I purchased an HP Media PC that came preloaded with an HP Recovery drive partition (10 GB). I would actually like to delete the file on this drive and install a copy of Windows XP on that partition. I think Windows Vista comes with a pretty sufficient recovery tool. Do you think it's safe to remove this file? I also plan on reformatting my HD every 6 months or so.

This is assuming they did not give you an actual OS instal disk. What I have done in the past is to ghost the recovery partion to dvd(s), then doing whatever I want with that partition. It adds a few extra steps to recovering the main OS should it get fubared beyond help, but otherwise works fine. You would have to use the ghost image to recover the recovery partition. Then run a system restore.

Or even better, using acronis or ghost to just image the os after getting it set up the way you like and keeping that backup in a safe place. Then doing whatever you want with the recovery partition.

However many companies also put diagnostic software on that partition as well, and getting support from them without running those diags for them can be a bitch. So I would really think carefully b4 just deleting or overwriting that recovery partition. Do you really need those 10 gigs back?

Back