Removing glued back plate

Yaden

Gawd
From MSI K8N Diamond mobo review...
Unfortunately MSI in all of their wisdom glued the back plate down to the board. I had an extremely difficult time removing the stock AMD mounting hardware to mount this board. ASUS has done the same thing with the A8R32-MVP Deluxe and the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, however the glue was easy to break lose and the old mounting hardware came off easily. Not the case with the MSI board. I was VERY surprised that I didn't damage the board during removal of the stock AMD mounting hardware.
My MIS board has the same issue. I am wondering how you, or anyone else, managed to remove that plate from the board?

I used a hairdryer, old credit card and either a razor blade or a flat head screw driver
I heated up the back plate to try and melt the glue on the sticker/foam pad a bit and put the CC flat on the mobo and used the razor blae to start it off and switched to the flat head when the gap was large enough to fit it in.

I ripped on off one of my friends computer to put a Zalman on it. I was suprised i did not break the board, cuz that thing was really bending. I used a screwdriver and my hands only.

Cooter

2 screwdrivers, with the ends covered in masking tape so you won't damage the board, slip one in one side, wait until the glue softens, slip the other one into the other side, and then keep moving them in slowly until it pops off.

I used two laptop case cracker tools. They are plastic and beveled. It's a pain in the ass to do it, but it needed to be done.

ASUS did it too, but it was very easy to remove especially compared to the MSI. It took me probably 15 minutes or more to take off. Plus it would be very easy to damage during removal.

yeah my asus boards too... (it was BITCH)

i use a hair dryer and a knife...

i put tons of fine scratches on the board and traces and bent some of the transistor pins, and during the process i had to bend the board quite a bit

to my surprise, it still sticking works

rock stable for a month now

Bbq said:
2 screwdrivers, with the ends covered in masking tape so you won't damage the board, slip one in one side, wait until the glue softens, slip the other one into the other side, and then keep moving them in slowly until it pops off.

Best tip so far. You really need to cover up those ends of the screw driver. I do something similair though I use a thin butter knife and a flat head screw driver, both with masking tape covered ends.

A quick question, and forgive me if it is stupid (I haven't had an AMD board before.) If I just needed to remove the heatsink bracket on the front of the board, does this glued on backplate that everyone is talking about need to be removed? I'm interested in getting a SI-120: I looked at the instructions for the XP-120 installation on Thermalright's website, and as far as I can see there isn't any mention of a backplate removal.

I'm interested in this MSI board but this issue with the stock mounting hardware is making me leery. I had a bad experience with removing a bracket from an intel board which is usually pretty easy which resulted in some scratches on the board (luckily it still worked.)

On my Expert I just removed the screws and pulled the top bracket off. Then I replaced it with the one supplied with the SI-120. So yes, you still use the stock backplate and nuts. You don't have to remove it in anyway.

I'm still using a Zalman 7000A-CU. The included backplate with the HSF shortcurcuited my K8N Neo2. I cound that I could just use the included backplate and the screws that hold down the HSF retainer(removing the retainer, of course) to mount the Zalman just fine. Two motherboards later, I'm still using the same trick.

Back