Removing an option for dual boot on win xp?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
I have two Windows XP installations showing so I will have to press enter to boot. But how do I remove the link to the installation that doesn´t exist? Its still there after reformatting.

Or just edit your boot.ini. Hidden file so you'll need to go into explorer and enable Show hidden files, show hidden system files. Just remove the installation you don't want and you won't get prompted at the boot loader.

You can also goto start/run and type "msconfig" "enter". On the BOOT.INI tab you can modify the boot.ini file. One method is to set the timeout to 0 instead of 30, making sure the installation you wish to boot to is the default. That way you wont lose the other entry if you need it later. Or you can remove the other entry altogether.

Phaedrus said:
You can also goto start/run and type "msconfig" "enter". On the BOOT.INI tab you can modify the boot.ini file. One method is to set the timeout to 0 instead of 30, making sure the installation you wish to boot to is the default. That way you wont lose the other entry if you need it later. Or you can remove the other entry altogether.

You can also do this through system properties.
Right click My computer -> properties -> advanced tab -> under "start up and recovery" hit settings.

Phaedrus said:

This would be your best bet, especially the setting of the timeout to 0, just in case you're not 100% sure which option is the right one.

Also, are you sure the second option won't boot? It's possible you have 2 installations for some reason, in which case you're better off finding where it is and reclaiming the lost hard drive space or partition it's on.

Back