Removing a PSU from its enclosure

COCOViper

Gawd
Joined
Dec 16, 2000
Messages
560
So I'm working on building a case with limited space and was considering taking a Corsair 600W and removing it from the PSU enclosure so that I don't have to build around a giant 150x84mm box.

Obviously the PSU will still need as good or better airflow than it would get in its stock configuration, so I was thinking about basically taking the internals and building a small enclosure with vents/fans around it inside the new case (e.g. like the original Xbox in terms of having a PSU section of the case: http://www.freewebs.com/badcyborg/My XBOX 003.jpg)

Aside from the obvious risks (huge caps = shock hazard, warranty voiding due to breaking seals on the enclosure), can you guys think of any other potential problems that could arise from this plan?
 
It could definitely work, although I think it should be left as a last resort if you absolutely can't find an alternative. Look into getting a PSU using a smaller form factor; maybe that will fit your needs.
 
The case also is RF shielding, removing the case may cause unpredictable errors.
 
not familiar with that exact one...but my corsair is pretty damn full, not sure how much smaller you could make it
 
You really won't gain any space by removing it from the case.

At the very most, if you trimmed the case, you might be able to gain 1/4 - 1/3".
 
Back
Top