remove SP2?

bass4040

Limp Gawd
I'm running peer to peer software that conflicts with SP2
Is there a way to remove win xp SP2 update and still have usb 2.0 functionality?

Add/Remove Programs, SP2 has an entry.

SP1 added USB 2.0, so it's doable. However, I've never heard of somebody rolling back SP2, so YMMV.

If you are having trouble with SP2 and need to roll back, the better option would be to just reload your operating system with SP2 already loaded on your Windows XP CD.

LoStMaTt said:
If you are having trouble with SP2 and need to roll back, the better option would be to just reload your operating system with SP2 already loaded on your Windows XP CD.
...however, the OP has a software conflict issue with SP2, not an SP2 configuration error.

lomn75 said:
...however, the OP has a software conflict issue with SP2, not an SP2 configuration error.

My worry would be about the P2P software you are using. If its a conflict wit hthe windows firewall turn it off. If its a problem with DEP then you could turn it off but if some new security feature in SP2 is stopping your software from working I'd almost suggest finding a new P2P program because I would be worried about the program and what it wants to do to the system.

What program is it and whats the problem and maybe we can help you fix it instead of removing sp2

Lowbatt said:
My worry would be about the P2P software you are using. If its a conflict wit hthe windows firewall turn it off. If its a problem with DEP then you could turn it off but if some new security feature in SP2 is stopping your software from working I'd almost suggest finding a new P2P program because I would be worried about the program and what it wants to do to the system.

What program is it and whats the problem and maybe we can help you fix it instead of removing sp2
Aye Aye mate.

I second

I'm using soulseek. SP2 contains a number of bug fixes and new features.

--One of those new "feature" is a capping on the number of concurrent half-open TCP connections. Windows XP SP2 is severely the number of ongoing connections you can make to the Internet in a given laps of time (maximum 10 half-open TCP connections). SoulSeek, like any P2P software, rely heavily on ongoing connections to connect to the SoulSeek Distributed Network and to initiate File transfers. The software will seems to "hang" while it's actually Windows XP delaying the connection.

You can check for this by looking into your Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools of your Windows XP Control Panel.

The bad news is that this capping setting CANNOT be changed. Microsoft just didn't provide any registry entries not configuration file to do this.--

So your going to remove a mostly necessary security update so you can run some P2P software, which is a known conduit into your PC for malware? Am I the only one wondering why anyone in their right mind would do this?

I tried the patch on the link, doesn't work. Can't I use mcafee, zone alarm and other programs to compensate?

bass4040 said:
I tried the patch on the link, doesn't work. Can't I use mcafee, zone alarm and other programs to compensate?
No, there's no replacement for SP2. Do what you want...it's your computer. Just don't ask for sympathy when a worm hits your PC through an exploit that SP2 fixed.

I uninstalled SP2 and when I hook up my external dvd writer, it says a high speed device is plugged into a non high speed usb hub so does SP2 take anything away from usb 2.0?

I think it would be better to just formatt. Last time I uninstalled the beta SP2, things weren't working right.

You just uninstalled SP2....:rolleyes:

When your computer starts giving you a timer before restarting your system due to lsass.exe failure, use run -> shutdown /a to stop the process...

That way you could continue "sharing" with soulseek... :p

djnes said:
So your going to remove a mostly necessary security update so you can run some P2P software, which is a known conduit into your PC for malware? Am I the only one wondering why anyone in their right mind would do this?
ditto :rolleyes:

djnes said:
No, there's no replacement for SP2. Do what you want...it's your computer. Just don't ask for sympathy when a worm hits your PC through an exploit that SP2 fixed.

That's a really bad answer. What I worry about is his machine getting infected and becoming a "mass spam emailing zombie machine", or worse, because the security holes aren't patched.

Back