Remove overclock when installing OS still?

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I remember several years ago although my systems would operate fine when overclocked and stress tested, I could never properly re-install the OS (usually BSOD or someother error) with the processor overclocked.
Is that still true in the era of win7?

Its a trivial task to reset the clock speed back to stock then jack it back up again once the OS is installed.... im just curious :confused:

As long as your 100% stable there really shouldn't be any reason to reset your clock speed to re-install your OS; I've done it plenty of times on rig without issues

yeah, that old OC of yours wasnt totally stabe obviously. I actually have mine system tuned with the 920 @ 3.5 and the ram at 7-7-7-20 and installed win7 just fine that way.

Proc does 4ghz no sweat, but i found a happy medium for temps, rock solid, no point in dialing it back just for the 20 minutes it take to install windows when i know it'll be fine.

I've successfully installed more recent Windows versions on already overclocked rigs without experiencing later problems, but to be honest why bother? As you've said, it's a rather tricial matter to set it back to stock clock for the OS install and then reapply the OC again afterwards.

It isn't really a matter of whether or not you need to. Instead, it's just a commonsense precaution to take.

As long as your 100% stable there really shouldn't be any reason to reset your clock speed to re-install your OS; I've done it plenty of times on rig without issues
Well considering OSes handle OCing differently I would suggest to not listen to this advice. I've seen several threads here where "My XP system was stable with my OC and now it's not stable on Vista but it's not my OC I swear!"

My OC (3GHz) is 12 hours Prime stable, but if I install Windows Vista or Windows 7 with it applied, I experience problems. If I manage to get past the "Copying Windows Files" (error: corrupt), then it will boot, but then I will be bombarded with "Such-and-such Windows component has stopped working" where "such-and-such" can be anything from Explorer to SuperFetch.

Installing Windows without any overclocks at all prevents this. That's just my experience, if you have time to experiment by all means do so as long as you're not working with mission-critical data.

I remember several years ago although my systems would operate fine when overclocked and stress tested, I could never properly re-install the OS (usually BSOD or someother error) with the processor overclocked.
Is that still true in the era of win7?

Its a trivial task to reset the clock speed back to stock then jack it back up again once the OS is installed.... im just curious :confused:

Yeah generally people try to make sure their overclock i stable, in which case it shouldn't matter.

Though there have been time in the past where I'll have a rig pass prime, 3dmark loop, etc but still have trouble at other times. One time it was caused by a PCI card that didn't like the increase in PCI frequency but I think most motherboards have a PCI lock these days.

Well considering OSes handle OCing differently I would suggest to not listen to this advice. I've seen several threads here where "My XP system was stable with my OC and now it's not stable on Vista but it's not my OC I swear!"

This man speaks the truth.

It has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with proper stress testing. If your OC is truely stable, it will perform the same as a stock cpu. Most people settle on good enough to run the OS and game, not truely stable...

It has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with proper stress testing. If your OC is truely stable, it will perform the same as a stock cpu. Most people settle on good enough to run the OS and game, not truely stable...

+1.

+2.

i run mine stock. When I want faster, I get a faster CPU.

Eliminates all issues. :D

I think you SHOULD install at your overclock. If your box isnt stable enough to install windows then you need to crank it down a bit or adjust voltages until it is stable.

I think you SHOULD install at your overclock. If your box isnt stable enough to install windows then you need to crank it down a bit or adjust voltages until it is stable.

QFT. Personally I do think that most overclocks are as stable as people think they are. ultimately the only way to know for sure that an overclock is stable to to actually DO stuff and installing an OS is definately stuff. If the OS won't install with the OC, then what else is lurking that can be a problem. If the OS won't install then I'd be worried about other problems down the road.

The OC on my sig rig has been through a lot of OS installs and never a problem though Windows 7 seemed to take a while to install.

That'd be good and well if it weren't for a coupla factors:

Firstly, more recent Windows versions DO NOT handle minor hardware incompatibilities and/or anomolies as well as earlier versions do. Over time, windows has become less tolerant of such things. A 'mix and match' RAM scenario, for example, which is fine under one version won't necessarily still be fine under the next. Or an overclock which stress tests fine under one version won't necessarily stress test identically under the next or subsequent versions.

Secondly, you can't even be sure that the same test, run later under the same OS version, will produce identical results. When overclocking, you run the risk of stability degradation over time.

What you say is kinda correct in principle, but in practice it's not really a reliable demonstration of an approach to take. Simple fact is, it's still best/most sensible practice to reduce the OC to stock for the OS install, and reapply it later. An OC which tests fully stable on new kit won't necessarily stay same way forever after!

Oh, and for the record the box I'm typing this on has been running overclocked for four years, and has had 3 successive Windows versions installed to it, with the thing remaining overclocked during the install. That doesn't alter the 'commonsense' nature of the advice given, however.

While I agree with your statement in general, there is an exception. While researching the Phenom II's, I read quite a few post where people are getting higher OC's on 32-bit OS's vs. 64-bit. The general conclusion is that the use of the extra registers in 64-bit mode pusher the CPU harder. So, if OP is changing from 32-bit to 64-bit, it could be advantageous to return to stock and start the process over again.

Oh, and for the record the box I'm typing this on has been running overclocked for four years, and has had 3 successive Windows versions installed to it, with the thing remaining overclocked during the install. That doesn't alter the 'commonsense' nature of the advice given, however.

While I agree with your statement in general, there is an exception. While researching the Phenom II's, I read quite a few post where people are getting higher OC's on 32-bit OS's vs. 64-bit. The general conclusion is that the use of the extra registers in 64-bit mode pusher the CPU harder. So, if OP is changing from 32-bit to 64-bit, it could be advantageous to return to stock and start the process over again.

Nothing wrong per se with this advice but now you starting getting into an exceptions list and for a lot of us an overclock is really an all or nothing proposition. Either it works with EVERYTHING I do or it doesn't. Now if the list it limited to things like OS installs that's a little tolarable but I'd never personally run an oc on a system that couldn't handle the OS install in the first place.

In the back of my mind there's always going to be that nagging feeling that if the OC breaks the OS install, what else is lurking that's not right?

Even though my overclock is ridiculously stable, I still take the 10 seconds to set everything back to stock for an OS install.

Even though my overclock is ridiculously stable, I still take the 10 seconds to set everything back to stock for an OS install.

Some people will format/reinstall on a monthly basis....think of the amount of time spent over a year doing that.

Yet not take a whopping 10 seconds to stock clock for a problem free and reliable install. //shrugs

The time isn't the issue, its the fact that the OC DIDN'T work in a given situation. To me that's just not cool. Either the OC works for everything I do or it doesn't. Too me its like underclocking to have to get something to work. Not acceptable to a lot of folks. Its all or nothing.

After changing out RAM mid RC install which required less of an OC than my old RAM my computer would occasionally "re-overclock" itself after coming out of standby mode, causing instability until I rebooted, went into BIOS, lowered mem freq down to the new value then load back up again, at least until the next time it decided to adjust itself. Disabling sleep isn't an option, it's summer time, a 400W continuous space heater in my room I DO NOT WANT.

So yeah I set everything to stock before doing the reinstall this time, hopefully that fixes my issue, if it's not the OS then the retarded nvidia BIOS "can't forget" its old values despite numerous resets.

Back