Remove Blocked Startup Programs (Vista) So they always run

cam966251

[H]ard|Gawd
So there is a program i use everyday that is blocked by Vista (Xfire) on startup so i have to start it up manually or go to the "run blocked Program" thing at the bottom. I just want it to startup all the time without any questions asked, how do i do this?

Thank you

I've only even seen that "run blocked program" screen after I've used msconfig to shut down an app.

Are you using the latest version of Xfire? On their website it says that it's Vista compatible, but if you're using the latest version and it's asking for elevated privileges to run (that's why UAC's blocking it at startup) then you should tell the Xfire people to get their act together and release a genuine Vista compatible version of Xfire a.s.a.p.

Xfire has no business running with elevated privileges.

How come there isn't a way to remove it form the blocked programs list?

The program requires a UAC approval to run. Programs that require that at startup will be blocked.

The only way to allow them to run at startup is to disable UAC. Not a great solution. The software needs to be updated to meet Vista security requirments.

I seem to remember in the Betas and the RCs that you could install programs but not run them from installation. After installation, open the program, run as admin and you would just get the admin rights, but not the blocked program on bootup. It doesn't seem to work with the released version....I have pared the list down to just the Weather Channel Desktop and I have to start it from the blocked program listing.

Major is right, and here is a very understandable and thorough explanation written up by bbz_Ghost that is definitely worth the read...

Back