Remove a linux XP dual boot

hegemon666

n00b
A while ago I downloaded RedHat Linux 9 and thought I would try it out. I installed it onto my second hard drive, with Windows XP Pro staying on the first. This has set up a dualboot system and I can now quite easily choose between which OS I want to use at boot up. I now want to get rid of linux as I require the second drive for storage. What is the easiest way to remove linux and get back the normal boot up that takes me straight into Windows XP? I guess deleting all the partitions that Linux has created on the second drive would get rid of it but will that also remove the boot menu?

I bet it's a question you get a lot, but I need help!

You could keep the Linux / partition - you could format the other partitions on the secondary drive and make them into FAT32 for cross compatibility with Linux and Windows, or NTFS for windows read/write, but Linux read-only (NTFS Write support in LInux is dangerous).

However, if you want to totally scrap Linux, then format the partitions on the second drive and use disk manager in Windows to format them.

To have Windows reclaim the master boot record and get rid of LILO or Grub, boot from the Windows install disk. When it gets past all the driver loading and stuff, hit R to go to recovery console.

Give the administrator password, and then give this command:

Code:
fixmbr C:

That should fix the MBR and get rid of LILO or whatever linux bootloader you installed.

This looks like it will work fine

thank you

Im thinking of re installing linux on my other pc now since i can get rid of it on my gaming rig

yo shoudn't do fixmbr.. or fdisk /mbr.. don't!! use a linux CD boot into rescue mode, and there should be an option to restore windows boot.. using the method as state above could leave you with a NTLDR missing error

I do agree with Rancid, in that you should try your linux distro's recommended boot sector restore method first...

But the use of these commands: BOOTCFG, FIXBOOT, & FIXMBR will be able to repair just about any boot sector problems from a Windows 2K/XP recovery console. I would suggest reading Microsoft's documentation on their proper use; as there is a very specific use order and method to the madness... you should be informed before using those commands... ps; an ntldr missing error can be repaired.

I had this EXACT same problem. All I did was go into the recovery console with my windows XP cd and typed fixmbr C: and it took care of it. I either did the fixmbr or format /mbr... I don't know if that's a command, it was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly which command it was. However, this will fix your problem guaranteed. Good luck.

I have done exactly what BillLeeLee described many times, and have never had a problem.

Back