Removal of stripped screws

knopflerbruce

Limp Gawd
Anyone got some tips on how to remove stripped screws from... say water blocks? Something that can be done MacGyver style would be great:cool:

Oh god I hate hex so much:mad:

Stripped head -- use a thin piece of rubber or something and jam the screw/hexdriver in there and twist. Stripped threads, in a water block? Maybe try compressed air upside down to shrink the screws and try to take them out that way with some side force/lift while you twist it. Otherwise, you're looking at finding a smaller than the screw drill bit and taking them out that way.

I do not envy you ;)

Get some pliers and bite on head and twist and pull.

I literally drilled out one or two screws on my GTX 470 stock cooler, haha. There are also some special manual/power drill bits that can remove stripped screws, but they don't always work.

If the screw has a significant portion protruding above the surface of whatever it's screwed into you can use a dremel and cut a slot in it to make it flat-head screwdriver compatible.

The threads are fine, just the heads that are stripped. Can't get the rubber method to work, and no part of the head is above the base of the block. Those things are really worn out.

The threads are fine, just the heads that are stripped. Can't get the rubber method to work, and no part of the head is above the base of the block. Those things are really worn out.

Unscrew the other screws and turn block to loosen.

If you cannot loosen it like above and there is still some of the screwhead to work with you could try and "key" the screw with a sharp flathead and hammer. As in you smack the flathead edge into the screw face to create a new groove.

Unscrew the other screws and turn block to loosen.

3/6 screws are stripped, so it's tight as hell. However, I'm thinking the dremel method is the best, as long as the dremel works with copper. This is for a Heatkiller 3.0 block, so the screws are really close to the edge, and i doubt it will be a problem if there are a couple of marks on the edges. Don't think it will lea because of that, and i don't care about the looks. Sounds like a plan, no? Just need to borrow a proper dremel...:cool:

If you cannot loosen it like above and there is still some of the screwhead to work with you could try and "key" the screw with a sharp flathead and hammer. As in you smack the flathead edge into the screw face to create a new groove.

Is this safe? No risk of damaging the water block as well?

Depends on how soft the screw face surface is and how good you are with steadiness and precision. A picture would help. Obviously if the block is mounted weirdly or significantly softer than the screw it's probably not the best idea.

Is this safe? No risk of damaging the water block as well?

I hacksaw blade can work great for cutting a slot to use a flatscrewdriver, on a screw with a stripped Phillips head. Have done it many times.

This set has saved me numerous times, but until you are proficient with them you will break a few sets most likely. Use an impact drill after drilling out the head.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at the bottom of my heatkiller...you can try one of those stripped screw removal tools, but I'd be willing to be it won't work; those screws are on the small side. I think you might be in for buying a new block if those screws *must* come out.

Back