• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Remounting Xigmatek S1283?

SkuLLy|RT

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 16, 2002
Messages
499
So I recently moved and had to reseat this HSF when assembling my comp. However, my temps are ridiculously high now (I used to be @ ~60 on load, now I'm about 64 with a peak of 67). My ambient temp has gone up a little bit, but I'm getting these high temps with the side of my case off, so I want to reseat this bad boy again.

How have you guys been going about cleaning the base of this HS? I've been shoving the edge of a coffee filter into the grooves between the base and the copper pipes, but I'm wondering if I should use a QTIP to get in there instead? Also, what method of applying thermal grease are you using? I did a straight line across as seen here. Have you found a better method?

I'm getting slightly annoyed by this whole remounting process (this bolt through kit has quickly become the bane of my existence), so if you guys have got a method that ensures I only have to do this one more time that'd be great. :)
 
Nice, I hadn't seen that writeup before! Hopefully using that method will drop my temp a bit.
 
if you had a rise in ambient temp, I would say you might be fine as is. a small increase in ambient temps can result in larger increase in cpu temps.

anyway, clean out all of the compound between the pipes and block, then fill in the gaps again and scrape off the excess. then use the two line method with the compound on the block between the pipes and reseat the cpu.
 
I use the line method perpendicular to the pipes, and get good (but off-center) spread with my fabricated brackets:

That could be because I can get a lot of force with these, without risk of bending the MB. That said, I hear Xig makes a bolt-through kit that's $5, if anybody knows where to find one? Pls link. I'd use that myself if my Shuttle MD had holes in the standard locations for a 775LGA :rolleyes:

I'm working on a new bracket set and a fan shroud - the shroud will have threaded inserts so I can attach a single or stacked fans using screws. I'm interested to see if stacked pull fans will do a better job moving cool air through my Xig :)
 
I'm confused. Doesn't the xig bolt through kit allow for remounting and processor changes without removing the motherboard?
 
I'm confused. Doesn't the xig bolt through kit allow for remounting and processor changes without removing the motherboard?

The Xig and "generic" bolt-thru kits both look to be the same; they have a metal bracket that goes behind the motherboard that can be secured to it permanently via a super-glue like adhesive pad. If you were to secure it back there I'm sure you could remount the HSF without removing the mobo.

However, as I don't know that I'll be holding onto this board forever (I normally sell these things on the FS forums when I upgrade) and I'd like to take this HSF to my next build (socket willing)... I just slave through the whole removal / reinstall process everytime I need to remount the thing. :)
 
I would worry about the push-pins breaking after to many removal/reinstalls...

Also, it's just double sided tape, not super-glue (AFAIK). I have successfully removed similar backings for a Zalman 9700nt, and TR Ultima-90 and reattached to different boards. I have not tried to remove/reinstall the Xig one yet.

 
Does the xig bolt through kit require the placement of any bolts on the backside? or do the screws simply mount through the board and bracket?
 
Does the xig bolt through kit require the placement of any bolts on the backside? or do the screws simply mount through the board and bracket?
The Xig branded bracket pictured at the Egg doesn't appear to include nuts, so I'm guessing the bolt holes in the bracket are threaded. The nylon insulator on the Xig bracket is a nice touch, and probably worth the extra $1 or two. The generic bracket [thanks SkuLLy] looks to have captive threaded inserts, and sit a bit further from the bottom of the MB to avoid the need for an insulator - and probably fits within the clearance of standard height MB stand-offs.
 
The xig backplate does indeed have threaded holes that you screw directly into.

 
slightly off topic...
my 2nd core is 5-10C hotter than my 1st core. is this a mounting issue, grease issue, or it's just the processor and doesn't matter?
 
I'd say it isn't quite seated right. That's a pretty fair difference between the 2 cores.
 
On my quad's I generally have a 5C difference between the the 2 core "sets", that's with several different coolers (Zalman 9700nt, TR Ultima-90, and the Xig S1283). I believe my E2180 and E8400 ran within 1-2C of each other.

 
maybe that link from tomshardware is for the mobile...

BAH i don't know!

i just know the difference from one orientation to the other is 10C on my computer. you should try both. i actually have a kingwin revolution, which is the same as the xigmatek s1284, and has 4 heat pipes instead of 3. YMMV!

one core is still 5C more than the other. i don't know why that is...i think the sensor is messed up or something. ah well, ambient is 23C and i'm idling at 27/34, so i shouldn't be bitchin.
 
maybe that link from tomshardware is for the mobile...

BAH i don't know!

i just know the difference from one orientation to the other is 10C on my computer. you should try both. i actually have a kingwin revolution, which is the same as the xigmatek s1284, and has 4 heat pipes instead of 3. YMMV!

one core is still 5C more than the other. i don't know why that is...i think the sensor is messed up or something. ah well, ambient is 23C and i'm idling at 27/34, so i shouldn't be bitchin.

5C is nothing too worry about. Your temps sound good and at this point you are likely closer to making it worse by fucking with it, compared to any gain you might get.
 
On my E8400 the cores are always 6C apart - no reason, just because. If your cores are within 5, you're fine.
 
The bolt thru kit for the Xigmatek is very sturdy, I have it with my Q6600 and keeps temps in the 40's.. The bracket that goes on the back of the mb sticks with adhesive pad.

Keep in mind that AS has 200 hours of burn in time so if u reapply with that give it time to work.
 
Back
Top