Remotly updating winXP -> SP2.. preventing firewall from turning on

Danith

2[H]4U
So I have to update a couple computers remotely to SP2 (using NetSupport.. kinda like VNC) what I found out on the one I was doing today is that when you install SP2, it automatically turns on Windows Firewall, which doesn't let me reconnect to the computer. Anyway to stop this? When it askes you to reboot after SP2 has been installed, is the service already in the.. services? What I'm getting at, is if the services show up, I could possibly disable it then reboot.

heh i have this exact same problem, i wind up just having the remote user run 'firewall.cpl' and disable it themselves then ill be able to connect and make an exception for pcanywhere

edit: I found this online, maybe we can create a batch file which runs on bootup that executes this command? Maybe put that command in firewall_disable.bat, put the file in C:\ and add that filename to autoexec.bat? worth looking into

netsh firewall set opmode disable

Group Policy is your friend. If you are using Windows at a business, I would hope you are using Active Directory. You can turn it off in a Group Policy.

MorfiusX said:
Group Policy is your friend. If you are using Windows at a business, I would hope you are using Active Directory. You can turn it off in a Group Policy.

Yea we have 120+ pcs but do not have a domain server so everything i do is manual :eek:

MorfiusX said:

Ya, we are running active directory.. I'm looking at it right now.. but don't see any group policy option... :confused:

Danith said:
Ya, we are running active directory.. I'm looking at it right now.. but don't see any group policy option... :confused:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Network Connections > Windows Firewall

Thanks for all the help :) Although I didn't find the group policy thing (We had a merger a bit ago, and the whole AD is a bit mish-mash.. or it could be due to the huge migraine I have atm..); what I did was schedule a job to run at 7:35am on the computers "C:\windows\system32\netsh firewall set opmode disable" and have it set to repeat every 5 mins for 30 mins.. tested it out on my local computer and seems to work. guess I'll find out (assuming the users actually leave the computers on this time, unlike this morning - despite my email telling them not to and giving detailed instructions on how to "log off") :rolleyes:

Techx said:
Yea we have 120+ pcs but do not have a domain server so everything i do is manual :eek:

Holy glutten for punishment batman! I cringe at the thoughts of a network greater than a dozen PCs without a domain controller...not to mention 120. :eek:

YeOldeStonecat said:
Holy glutten for punishment batman! I cringe at the thoughts of a network greater than a dozen PCs without a domain controller...not to mention 120. :eek:
I draw my limit at around 5. Hell, I use AD at home and I have 3 machines total.

MorfiusX said:
I draw my limit at around 5. Hell, I use AD at home and I have 3 machines total.

I'm down to just my SBS box and my gaming rig since the divorce....so...1x client on AD now at home. :D

Someone came through our forums a few weeks ago...over 300 PCs...spread out across a WAN.

All peer to peer...no servers.

LOL

Had some stuff to setup...would have been a snap with AD.

Hard part is...once you keep growing in size...it's exponentially harder and more time consuming to do that switch.

LOL

Back