Remoting safely into home PC

PsichoDM

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if people here had experience with keeping their remote desktop connections safe. I know that on a vista machine (vista 64 in my case) you can easily enable remote desktop so that pretty much anybody remotely can login as the specified user. How safe is that, though? Say I have a pretty decent password, which is pretty much the most I can do. Are there bugs / holes in Vista that can be exploited to remote into my machine without knowing the credentials?

well to start you should make sure the both the administrator and user account have strong passwords. Also both machines having the newest version of RDC will help also.

May want to look into Hamachi, easy to use and secure. That is if you want extra security. If just sticking with standard RDP, then make sure you have a complex password with mixed characters and 8+ characters.

Yes it's secure. A good Admin password, and at least a halfway decent user password that the remote is enabled on.

To make you feel more comfy....go into local policy and have your host mode disable itself for a short timeout period after X number of failed login attempts. Just adding this feature for say a 15 minute timeout for answering will pretty much foil any "grinding" attempts at breaking in...making it take something like 10,548 years to run through an 8 character dictionary attack.

The only exploit I've read about for remote desktop was only created in a lab (read:for all intensive purposes impossible in the real world), some "man in the middle" attack, on the older version of remote desktop.

Back