remoting into home network

Asian Fury

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about to go to college but my parents remain tethered to me on the subject of computers. In order to help em out I plan to remote into my print server to fix any problems they may have. Problem is, I don't know how to remote into my home network. My internet service provides a dynamic ip as well as my own router having a dhcp server to assign internal ip's. can anyone shed some light as to what i would have to do to be able to remote desktop into my home print server?

Use VNC make sure you have port 5800 open on the router so you can access it.

Yep, that wasn't my point. If he's running XP then he has the RD option. If he's running linux, some distro's anyway, he also can use RD. If he's running windows 2K or earlier then TightVNC or other VNC variant is probably the easiest solution. That or something like PCAnywhere.

You might want to look into a free DNS service so you don't have to have your parents find the ip for you. I use DynDNS. It gives you the ability to have 5 hosts for free. If you have an updated router, there should be a DDNS function that will keep that ip updated for you, otherwise you will have download one of the clients from the site and have it run all the time.

i'm running xp pro on the computer. i was planning on using remote desktop, cep i'm not completely sure how to use it

Enable it on the machine you want to manage, then forward ports on your router. Port 3389. You will need to have the IP that the router is using, or run something like was mentioned earlier, DynDNS. I use it with my domain name and it works fairly well. If you want a walkthrough XP's help will give you a step by step with RD. You'll have to look at your router manual to see how to forward ports for your specific router if you don't know how to do that and for the Dynamic DNS, their site explains it pretty well and makes it relatively easy to manage.

Asian Fury said:
whoa this is way over my head
then either get smart quick.. or provide them with the number to a local in-house computer repair store.

This is from a Linksys router. Your router should have a setup similar to this. You will need a web browser to tie into it. To do that type ni 192.168.0.1 (could be 192.168.1.1), check your manual for instructions on the address.

Application: You can put anything in here. It is just a description
Start/End: The port numbers you want to let through (put 3389 in both spots)
Protocol: TCP/UDP/Both. Put TCP.
IP Address: Address of machine you are trying to get to remote into.
Enable: Put a check to enable the rule.

router.jpg

i followed kevino's steps and enabled the port forwarding. I'm looking at the dyndns site right now and i'm trying to get a mental picture of everything thats going on. i simply want to be able to open up remote desktop and log onto the computer, but what would i type in where it says "Computer". would i be typing in the hostname i get from dyndns or the ip that my router currently has? i'm sorta lost

Asian Fury said:
i followed kevino's steps and enabled the port forwarding. I'm looking at the dyndns site right now and i'm trying to get a mental picture of everything thats going on. i simply want to be able to open up remote desktop and log onto the computer, but what would i type in where it says "Computer". would i be typing in the hostname i get from dyndns or the ip that my router currently has? i'm sorta lost

the reason you're getting dyndns is so that you only need to remember the hostname rather than trying to guess the ip address.

so i could just straight up type "asianfury.dyndns.com" in to the computer box at the remote desktop login? couldn't i just skip that step by getting a program that emails me the current ip?

You can put anything you want in the hostname. It could be "JoeBlow" or "IDontKnow". Whatever you put in there is what you will use to get to it from your school. if you put JoeBlow in the hostname and chose kicks-ass.org for the domain, then when you try to get to your parents machine you just use joeblow.kicks-ass.org.

BTW, you are going to have to use something to keep that ip updated with Dyndns. My router has that function build into it. Check to see if yours does? If not, you will have to download one of the clients. It should look like the picture below for your router.

Username: Dyndns user
Password: Dyndns password
Hostname: What you filled out above (ex. joeblow.kicks-ass.org)

router2.jpg

i have an old linksys wireless 802.11b router/switch. it doesn't have that function

Back