Remotes, Remotes, Remotes

Schro

[H]F Junkie
So I think I'm in the market for another remote for my HTPC, as the current gets a failing score according to the FAF (fiancee acceptance factor, a precursor to the better known WAF). The main point of failure for it is that its not simple enough such that there's one button that turns things on and switches between the different modes without an extensive training session.

I upgraded from a Remote Wonder 2 to the Gyration Remote/Keyboard combo (found here). Overall, its a great combo and works great, but I need something more integrated. While this controls all the of my devices, it could do it a bit better.

I currently have to control the following with the remote:
  • The HTPC (Running BTV4/Meedio - anything MCE compliant would work fine here)
  • The HDTV
  • The Receiver (and switch modes to DVD, HTPC, Tuner, etc)
  • The DVD Player

Is this something that one of the Logitech Harmony remotes is capable of doing? I guess it'd need to do something along the lines of macros - i.e. hit the DVD button, and it turns on (or switches modes) on the TV, Receiver and flips on the DVD player...

As an example, for the current remote, she'd have to press TV, then goto the right source, goto the receiver mode, select the right source there, goto the DVD mode, select the right source there....

I could also be asking for technology that is ahead of its time - I'm personally happy with the Gyration setup as its leagues better than the Remote Wonder, but this needs to be as easy to use as the retarded cablebox units.

In other news, if anyone wants my Gyration setup when I find a replacement, I'm willing to cut you a deal....

Yeah, you'll need a Harmony for that.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the Harmony documentation that they also function as an MCE remote - the Harmony 1000 is VERY tempting right now, but I can't seem to confirm that it can control the PC (same for the 880/890)

They work with MCE (are you sure? Last I checked this info was on the site.) but you'll need to get an MCE remote and use it's IR receiver with the Harmony.

They work with MCE (are you sure? Last I checked this info was on the site.) but you'll need to get an MCE remote and use it's IR receiver with the Harmony.

I found an article at THG (gasp. blasphemy for clicking, i know) that said they were using it with MCE, so things are looking good. I've also found a place I can get it at for about $260

if you shop around the 880 can be found very cheap. i payed $188 shipped brand new from dealsea.com

i use mine with the mce remote ir receiver and the new fusion v2 has one integrated.

as attractive as the harmony 1000 is, i highly suggest you go with the 880. I have had nothing but issues with the 1000s I have programmed. Logitech has been little to no help with the issue as well.

if you shop around the 880 can be found very cheap. i payed $188 shipped brand new from dealsea.com

i use mine with the mce remote ir receiver and the new fusion v2 has one integrated.

I've seen the 880 around $140 or so online, and I picked one up yesterday at MicroCenter for $229 to see how I like it. The key hunt I have for today is finding an MCE IR Receiver so I can evaluate how the heck everything works together.

as attractive as the harmony 1000 is, i highly suggest you go with the 880. I have had nothing but issues with the 1000s I have programmed. Logitech has been little to no help with the issue as well.

Would these issues be fixed by the RF extender? Is there any particular theme to the issues you've been having with it? Its very tempting to bite on because it looks that much cooler and is only about $100 more online....

using the rf extender has caused even more problems. they have a horrible tendency to lock up or lose connection to the RF extender. most problems are solved by removing/placing back the battery but it gets awful annoying. other times you have to completely remove/re-add the extender to the network. arg.

and youre right, it is 'cooler'. when it works. however, the theme seems to be that they dont.

if you really want to try the 1000, use it strictly for IR for the return period that you have and see how it goes. i do not have much faith with the 1000s given all the issues I have seen.

I've got the Harmony 360 Remote. Work great with my HTPC, Benq Projector, Veiwsat Ultra and Logitech z-5500.. I will be complete once I get a 360 to use as an extender for my living room.
One remote to rule them all :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a universal remote control (thats the brand) rf-30 with rf extender. Programmable just the way I like it (without having to use any annoying software) and the RF extender works perfectly. Remote can be found for less than 90 (at b&h) and the rf base station can be found for around 40 bucks.

However, since you are looking at the harmony 1000, I don't think you are concerned about price as much as myself.

Back