Remotely reboot router without internet connection

FRAGMAN BOB

Limp Gawd
One of my clients has a variety of smaller sites that have a need to reboot a locked router from time to time. Is there any type of device I can place out there to be able to reboot say a Cisco 2800 series when internet is up but the router is locked?

My guess would be an IP power switch and have that hooked up directly to the network bypassing the router or using a backup router.

My guess would be an IP power switch and have that hooked up directly to the network bypassing the router or using a backup router.

Yep, a PDU where you can switch the ports on/off on a separate network/ISP is a simple way to get this done.

No idea of the quality, but I've been looking at getting this for a client site, where the DSL modem locks up on occasion and a power cycle clears it. Looks to do all the normal IP-PDU stuff, but also has a built-in ping schedule, so if it fails to ping an IP (like the first router beyond the dsl modem) a programmable number of times, it will also automatically power cycle the selected power socket. Ebay looks to have a number of them for around $130-140.

http://www.minutemanups.com/products/rpm1521_remote_power_manager.php#page=page-1

ubiquiti does this too...

look at the mFi mPower devices... they have single outlets, power strips, wall installable power outlets...

Baytech makes a remote power switch that you can connect to a POTS line and also to the console port of managed devices. You can then access the consoles and make an effort to identify the problem prior to power cycling the devices. If your client is having is to reboot Cisco 2800s frequently something is seriously awry. We've well over 500 2821 routers deployed at remote sites and I can't recall ever having to power cycle one that was locked up for a software issue. We use the remote consoles all the time to troubleshoot bad circuits.

http://www.baytech.net/

My first question would be, why does it need to be rebooted..

Look at the actual problem instead and try to fix that.

My first question would be, why does it need to be rebooted..

Look at the actual problem instead and try to fix that.

Depends on the administration, if the cost to fix exceeds a %tage than the cost to find a "workaround" the company would rather use the work around until funds are allocated/available or the number crunchers stop being lazy.

My office does the same thing.
"How much is a new lamp for this projector? Can't we just reset the lamp hours manually so it works? Yeah keep doing that."
Then when it finally breaks down, buy the lamp or wait until end of fiscal year. Damn bean counters.

True, they often don't take into account the work hours used to do the fixes or time to research and implement a work around so they just see the price of the new replacement product and say forget 'bout it!

Back