Remotely reboot computer

gangolfus

Gawd
Hello,

I am traveling for the holiday and the computer at home that I remote into seems to have locked up and RDP won't connect. It doesn't deny me immediately and it responds to ping so I believe it is still on. Does anyone know of a way to reboot it without physical access? The computer is running Windows 8.1 and I can VPN into my network. I just need a way to reboot the machine without physical access to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

May I suggest you fix whatever issue your computer has if you are using "it all the time"?? :)

*snerk* because nobody has multiple PCs or uses anything in a corporate environment, right?

Next time, just keep your mouth shut, there's tons of reasons one could use that with a perfectly functioning PC. Like say.. from a low powered media box if you're away from home and want to shut your PC off if you forgot. (not everyone has cheap power too)

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I am getting "The user name or password is incorrect." Does Win8.1 lock your account if there are too many failed RDP attempts? I've started getting password incorrect messages from RDP as well.

If you're using a live account, you could try to rest the password and then use psshutdown, or just shutdown.exe to remote boot your computer.

The computer is not tied to my Live account. Shutdown.exe is giving me "Access is denied".

Anyone know of a way to remotely crash/BSOD a Windows 8.1 computer?

Try to pskill winlogon, if it lets you, that *should* cause the computer to reboot. At least with XP it does, no idea about 7 or 8.

Though if it's giving you access denied chances are that will too. 7/8 seem to be weird with authentication stuff, I've always had trouble getting stuff of that nature to work. File shares are another weird one. Still trying to get a windows 7 VM to connect to a samba share and no go. I think they changed the authentication protocols.

*snerk* because nobody has multiple PCs or uses anything in a corporate environment, right?

Next time, just keep your mouth shut, there's tons of reasons one could use that with a perfectly functioning PC. Like say.. from a low powered media box if you're away from home and want to shut your PC off if you forgot. (not everyone has cheap power too)

Seriously dude... got some anger issues? "Keep my mouth shut"?? How about.... keep my fingers off the keyboard? :p

I was just "trying" to be funny... chill out! :D

I just tried
pskill \\192.168.0.33 -u xxxxx -t winlogon
and got "The user name or password is incorrect."

I'm 100% sure the u/p is correct so I think the account has been locked.

Back