remote users authenticating into a 2008 r2 domain?

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
I got about 20 users on laptops across the country that will need to be able to VPN into our network and access server applications on our R2 domain(network shares, payroll database shares, etc). The users are currently using Cisco anyconnect vpn client to get on our network and get an ip address. Im not exactly sure how do i configure them so they are also gaining access to our domain. Do i join the computer to the domain? if so how to they authenticate when they cant log in until they activate the vpn icon on the desktop? Also they may not want to join the domain every time they want in. So im kinda lost at this point as this is something ive never had to do before and it was just thrown in my lap as a get it fixed now.

As long as they have logged in while connected physically to the the network, it will cache their credentials so you can login while off the network. Also with the any connect there is a start before login program that will let you connect to the vpn before login.

We have our users connect to our vpn and then just have them rdp into a internal server.

You don't have to join the laptop to the domain. While connected to the VPN you can simply browse to \\server\share and will be presented with a login prompt. Enter your domain\user and password and voila.

Most of these laptops wont have physical access to the domain as they are in different parts of the country where we dont have domain controllers on site.
I cant find a spot on the vpn client to make it launch before login.

as for \\server\share that wont work when trying to access sql databases through a payroll software it requires domain authentication.

Correct. To the best of my knowledge, you can't "run-as" unless the computer has been joined to the domain.

I would give them virtual desktops to remote in to that are joined to the domain.

Can't you have the Cisco AnyConnect VPN connect before the login screen? I thought I remember seeing that as one of the advantages over the Cisco VPN Client.

Can't you have the Cisco AnyConnect VPN connect before the login screen? I thought I remember seeing that as one of the advantages over the Cisco VPN Client.

Yes you can, you can download it from Cisco. It's bundled in with the .ISO. If you need a copy, PM me OP.

Back