Remote Procedure Call(RPC) terminated unexpectedly

JeanClaude

[H]ard|Gawd
i just reformated my HD with XP Pro(legit copy). Now about every 15-20 minutes i get back on i get a "system shut down" error. Has any of you had this problem before? "Remote Procedure Call(RPC) terminated unexpectedly"

geez it did it while im posting this....gayy microsuck

do you have the latest windows updates and a decent updated virus scanner? Sounds a little like the blaster worm that was running like mad a while ago.

i have probably spent about 2 hours online since my reformat, i have not opened or even set up email yet. i have only been to safe sites(nothing new...hardforum type sites) HTF would i get this?
btw the first thing i did after i got online was update the Service packs. i have no virus scanner on yet. does it still sound like blaster? how would i get it?

in my windows task manager window i noticed a file called msblast.exe
is that the blaster worm?? plz tell me no, if it is the worm, is there a fix?

Originally posted by JeanClaude
in my windows task manager window i noticed a file called msblast.exe
is that the blaster worm?? plz tell me no, if it is the worm, is there a fix?

That sure as hell looks like it to me. Check this link for some info on it, as well as removal instructions. You can also probably try ending the process and running a virus scan if it will let you stay up and running long enough. Good luck.

my roomate must have gotten the blaster worm within 2 hours after setting his new computer up at school

It's just not safe to connect a system to the network unless A) you've fully patched it, B) have disabled network services, or C) are behind a firewall where only very trusted, secure systems reside. Solution A obviously requires something other than windowsupdate, such as CDs. Use 'netstat -l' to assist in disabling network services.

The fastest I've heard of a system being compromised is within 2 minutes of being placed on the network. I've seen Windows systems compromised before installation was even complete.

Email viruses are only one form of attack. Blaster uses a hole in RPC to spread. If you have an unpatched RPC running (the default for Windows), an attacker can run anything they want on your system with Administrator level privileges.

Once infected with Blaster, a system will start attacking other systems on the network, trying to exploit the RPC vulnerability. In your case, your system was attacked by one of these systems after you put it on the network, and before you were able to get the patch installed.

Good luck!

by network i hope u mean internet. i am not on any formal network. just 1 cpu and the internet. i fixed the blaster worm with a fixtool. it must have been compromised within about a hour or two of me setting up this hard drive. jeez folks are annoying(creator). thanks for the help guys!

Back