Remote management, Vpro KVM over IP?

At work I've used supermicro ipmi, HP ilo, and Dell's version (didn't like that as much) . I've never actually used vpro/amt. Is it just to shutdown/power on, can you access the bios.

I'm building my mom a home virtual host. She gets viruses and breaks pc's like it's cool. Using esxi 5 and the virtual machines will be HTPC with a video/tuner card passed through. Her work vm machine that I'll clone weekly, she can just RDP to it. Seeing as I've had some video cards passthrough not work well I need to manage this thing remotely below the OS level.

Any tips? The cheaper the better.

In order to access a VM via IPKVM (being it is a hardware connection) the host machine obviously needs to be powered on.

However using VMware VSphere you can remote in to the Vsphere management center and control VM's as if you were sitting in front of the control center for all your VMs locally.

I also own a single port IPKVM made by lantronix but you always need a physical access to something hosting the VM.

For bios level access you need a fully fledged total IP-KVM hardware solution that you can log in to and then connect to it's logical interface your physical computer. My $300 (on limited time sale) normally like $500 solution is by lantronix and it has full bios level access to the host PC it is running on. I even have power control, an IP switch box, and can switch power off the PSU. You set the bios to power on the machine after it experiences a power loss, if you need to cold reload it. And can do so using the KVM interface.

Here is what I recommend you look at. Right now it is on sale, not sure for how long, but I will tell you this little device is freaking amazing and you get A LOT for your money, including HTTPS access, telnet, SSH, terminal via serial, you name it all for a low price. Plus I got the power control unit which is like running a hyper expensive IP-Switchable PDU, except limited to one power socket. But who say's you can't just hook a power strip into and reset multiple items with one click.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spiderduo.html

I guess past this I do not understand your question. Maybe other members do.

Last edited:
thx, I'll look into this. It's cheapish but still a little more expensive than I wanted. Any one use the vpro amt options?

I'm trying to do this with my I7-3930K cpu but I don't think it's possible. Apparently one of the requirements to use AMT is the processor must support vPro and the 3930K doesn't. Strangely, the BIOS does have AMT enabled but I'm not sure what sense that makes if I can't even use it, at least not on my two pc's both of which use 3930K, one being P9X79 Pro and the other Sabertooth X79.

Even when install the IME (Intel Management Engine) software from the ASUS website it doesn't install anything other than an "Uninstall" folder inside c:\program files (x86)\Intel\Intel Management Engine. There's no files. No shortcut either after a successful installation.

Rebooting my pc remotely even when crashed or frozen would be very useful for overclockers so I don't understand why this isn't even an option. I'd buy an addon card or whatever just to have that in a desktop pc.

Back