Remote HOST file editing?

djnes

Fully [H]
I have some remote users who have trouble connecting to internal resources by name. After trying to find any DNS issues, I've decided to just edit their HOST files to hard-code the names and IPs. As of now, if I send them a link in e-mail, using the IP address, instead of the server name, it works fine.

I have admin rights on the domain, and I guess I could easily drop the new HOST file on their drive when they connect to our VPN....but is there some software that would allow me to open a remote computers HOST file and make changes? I found a bunch of HOST file editors, but they only do local files.

write a cmd (yech) shell script that will connect to a machine of your choosing and download a new hosts file and plop it in. Then use the windows AT command or task scheduler or some crap to have it run once a day or something.

If you want it at your command, you could have psexec order the computer to run the download and install script.

I'm highly doubtful you'd need to find a software package to do it, you could probably rapidly put something together using shell scripts.

Back