Remote Desktop with router

biru32

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to setup my remote desktop host computer to be accessed via another computer (work computer). I've followed the steps in setting up the host computer, but I am still getting the following error: The specified remote computer could not be found. Verify that you have typed the correct name or IP address, and then try connecting again.

I know I have everything correct as far as the computer name etc. What I suspect is that my router, D-link 614+ needs to be adjusted someway to allow outside connections.

Does anyone know how I need to configure my D-link router with Remote Desktop Connection?

Thanks.

Edit: Here's a screenshot from a di-624 of what you need to do. It's identical to the di-614.
The 192.168.0.xx is whatever the host LAN IP is.

I do just this.

1. Make sure that Remote Desktop is allowed on the computer you want to connect to. And that the accounts have a password on them.

2. In the router, foward TCP port 3389 to the private IP of the computer you want to Remote Dektop into.

3. Go to work, and enter your IP address at home, or if you have a domain pointing to the IP you can use that.

If that wont work, check your work hasnt blocked the port on their firewall. which is possible.

Hope that helps

I'm still getting the same error. Any other thoughts? That port could be blocked by my work firewall, but I don't really know. Thanks for your help.

If you're trying from work we can't do much to help you. Most likely they have that port blocked. Try connecting from a friend's house, and if it works, you know that's the case.

You may be able to connect via port 80 if you set up IIS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx

But that's as much as I'll say. If they don't want you connecting from work, the best thing to do is not to try and get around it.

S1nF1xx said:
If you're trying from work we can't do much to help you. Most likely they have that port blocked. Try connecting from a friend's house, and if it works, you know that's the case.

You may be able to connect via port 80 if you set up IIS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx

But that's as much as I'll say. If they don't want you connecting from work, the best thing to do is not to try and get around it.

I'm just trying to figure out how this works. gotomypc.com works from work, but the remote desktop does not. I would image it's a similar thing, but me being routed through the gotomypc server is likely making the difference.

What I'm actually trying to get around is the 19.95 per month charge that gotomypc.com is charging me per month.

biru32 said:
What I'm actually trying to get around is the 19.95 per month charge that gotomypc.com is charging me per month.

So why not check with whoever handles the IT at your work? Surely they will know if it will work and how to get RDP to work.

Using Gotomypc and Remote Desktop are actually quite different. I would suggest doing what someone else said and trying from a place different then work. If this still does not work then I would suggest going over your port fowarding again and make sure it has the correct ports going to your correct internal IP.

SJConsultant said:
So why not check with whoever handles the IT at your work? Surely they will know if it will work and how to get RDP to work.

LOL, best answer yet. :p

Back