Remote Desktop Web Question

Back_Packer

Limp Gawd
I am trying to setup a remote desktop web connection so that I can use my pc from home at school. Now it works at my girlfriends house but not at school. When I type in my address the web signin page appears where you select your window size and everything, but then when I try to connect it says it can't. It must be something with portblocking at school. Is there a way to make it run on a port that would not be blocked?

if it is your school blocking it because of security, we're not supposed to discuss bypassing it. see the sticky.

You can change your port by going into the adminstrative tools in the control panel. In fact, if you're running on the default port, you're crazy. When the scanners run, they look there first.

Inside Admin tools, it's the Internet Information Services Snap in. Expand your computer name until you get to Default Web Site, and then right click and hit properties. You can change your port in the TPC Port: field. I usually randomize around the game server ports, 6969, 27015, etc... I don't know that using gaming ports really helps, but I figure it helps the traffic blend in, and perhaps it might not get noticed as easily. Also make sure you're using strong passwords, and set a low number of failed logon attempts. I even use special characters like £ § and ↕ in my passwords. What can I say, I'm paranoid.

*edit* this only works if you're school is blocking port 80, which is highly unlikely. Odds are greater that they're filtering for ts connections in general, in which case you can't connect. Also, this post isn't explaining how to sidestep the schools security, if the port is the only issue.

Doufer said:
use a proxy server.. it might work i think

Using an "open" proxy is a VERY bad idea. They're usually put up by people that you wouldn't want to have access to everything you type/look at/do on the net.

Back