• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Remote Desktop via SSH and error message

zillah

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
164
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html

I tried to configure SSH server (let us call this PC : Server PC) and putty (let us call this PC: Client PC) exactly as described in the link above (step by step).

I have got two PC with XP Profe OS,,,,one PC (Where SSH server is installed) is on cable modem and other PC (where PUTTY is installed ) is on dialup.

I was able to establish a SSH Tunnel but I could not access RDP,,,,I do not know where was the problem.

Port forwarding is okay no problem otherwise I would not be able to establish SSH tunned

from PC where PUTTY is installed (let us call it Client PC) when I tried to type in the ip address (for the PC where SSH server is installed let us call it Server PC) with source port number (for Client PC) I received the below error message :



http://img687.imageshack.us/i/errormessagessh.jpg/

Any idea what troubleshoot should I perform ?
 
ohhh this is fun stuff. I had a great guide for this once. It looks like that guide you were using isn't too bad. I didn't read it the whole way though. Make sure that you use the right source and destination ports. You can also replace the destination computer name with the computer's corresponding IP address. I found this to work better some times. Another fun thing to do is use ssh tunnel to map a network drive on a computer... Its a bit more tricky. I did it once just for prof of concept. If I find the doc that I wrote about this I'll post it. IDK if it would be of any more help to ya.

Make sure that your doing the localhost:3389 (or whatever port you pick) for the RDP destination from the Client PC. This corresponds to the settings you enter in Putty. This is telling the connection to be passed through the ssh tunnel created.
 
Make sure that your doing the localhost:3389 (or whatever port you pick) for the RDP destination from the Client PC.
instead of localhost I used the private address (not name ) from the remote PC ( that SSH server installed).

I tried both port number source and destination.

But my understanding to what you have said : that we have to use a port number for a destination ,,,,,correct me if I am wrong

In the link that I have posted in my early thread he have used source port number not destination

And in the link below he used source port number not destination.

https://winservices.web.cern.ch/winservices/Help/?kbid=320007
To connect via RDP to your machine at CERN, open your remote desktop client (on the local computer, i.e. your pc at home) typing as computer: localhost:60001, the source port we previously set.

Again I have tried both ports and both of them gave me same error.
 
As I have been advised , I did try 127.0.0.1:3390 and it did work.

Although I did try 127.0.0.2:3390 it did not work

Then after the advice I did google I found this
http://www.engr.wisc.edu/computing/best/rdesktop-putty.html
Start your Remote Desktop program as usual. Instead of entering the name of the computer that you want to connect to, you must type in the address and port that Putty is forwarding to. Depending on your operating system, this may be different from what is shown in the example:
• Windows XP: 127.0.0.2
• Other Windows Platforms: 127.0.0.1
 
Last edited:
For RDP to work via SSH tunnel from the first place I should have used either one of these below :

1- localhost:3390

or

2- 127.0.0.1:3390

I can not use a private ip address (my case is 192.168.0.11:3390), this was my mistake.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html
For example use an address of localhost:3390 to connect to Ashtabula and an address of localhost:3391 to connect to Norman...


https://winservices.web.cern.ch/winservices/Help/?kbid=320007
typing as computer: localhost:60001, the source port we previously set.
 
Back
Top