Remote Desktop Issue #2

Certain

Limp Gawd
Good lord. Aight. Here's the PG-13 version.

I am having a little trouble remoting into another machine that's on my home network. I have a Wireless G Linksys router. I'm not sure of the exact name but I believe it is a WRT54G. I'll try to explain what I've been going through trying to get this to work. It started when I tried to remote into my computer (I'll call it my Main PC) from my work laptop. The company allows remote desktop. I know this for a fact. I decided to bring the laptop home and try to remote in. I set my Main PC up for remote desktop access. Then with the laptop I connected to a friend's wireless network here in my apartment complex so that I could try to remote in from an outside network. I tried what I think to be everything. I tried turning off firewalls. I tried forwarding ports. I even tried to use a different laptop that didn't have a company image on it and was just working as a normal personal XP laptop and that didnt work either. I just gave up on it.

Fast forward a couple of months to the present. I decided to setup a Media Center PC in my living room. After I get everything setup, I decide to share a few folders on the Main PC with the new Media Center PC. That goes fine. So I'm able to access all my movies and files that I specify to share. So I decide to setup remote desktop just in case I want to remote into my Main PC. Once again, I'm having issues. I've tried turning off firewalls both Windows and third party on both PC's and it still doesnt work. What's frustrating is it's like Windows doesn't even try....like it doesn't even give an effort. When I select remote desktop and type in the IP address, that is static by the way, Windows doesn't even do anything. I press connect and the Remote Desktop box will blink for a split second and it just stays at the connect box. It doesnt give an error or anything.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?

Have you tested from the same LAN first? Verify the host PC is functioning and setup correctly..that you can connect to 192.168.xxx.xxx from another 192.168.xxx.xxx address, once you can verify that....move onto a static LAN IP, port forwarding..and work on connecting from the wild side.

He isn't trying to steal internet, he is trying to bypass his company's firewall and internet filtering, his other thread just got locked.
Once again, no I'm not. I can already do that. Funny thing is, I'm no longer even trying to setup remote desktop to remote in from the outside, haven't been for a while. I'm trying to do this own my own network. I got my thread locked just for putting a little history to my situation in there. If you look, the thread was so that I could remote in while on my own network with my Media Center.

Have you tested from the same LAN first? Verify the host PC is functioning and setup correctly..that you can connect to 192.168.xxx.xxx from another 192.168.xxx.xxx address, once you can verify that....move onto a static LAN IP, port forwarding..and work on connecting from the wild side.
Yeah. I know that the PC i'm trying to connect to is functioning properly. I have it set up for remote connection and I'm able to share folders between the LAN computers. I'm able to ping it. I just can't remote into it.

Yeah. I know that the PC i'm trying to connect to is functioning properly. I have it set up for remote connection and I'm able to share folders between the LAN computers. I'm able to ping it. I just can't remote into it.

But are you trying to remote desktop to it from within the network as a test? We need to focus on either the machine, or the router and port forwarding....but first we need to determine if the machine itself is correct.

You can always ping something....the telltale clue is....do you get replies? I'm assuming so though since folder shares are working.

Check to see that remote desktop is enabled
Check to see that remote desktop is allowed in <whatever software firewall> you're running

But are you trying to remote desktop to it from within the network as a test? We need to focus on either the machine, or the router and port forwarding....but first we need to determine if the machine itself is correct.

You can always ping something....the telltale clue is....do you get replies? I'm assuming so though since folder shares are working.

Check to see that remote desktop is enabled
Check to see that remote desktop is allowed in <whatever software firewall> you're running
Yeah, I get replies when I ping. Remote desktop is enabled. The software firewall I have I turned off just for this situation. Everything seems to work except remote desktop.

Yeah, I get replies when I ping. Remote desktop is enabled. The software firewall I have I turned off just for this situation. Everything seems to work except remote desktop.

What about windows firewall, is it off also?

What about windows firewall, is it off also?
Just to be thorough, I tried it on and off. While on I had Remote Desktop checked off as an exception. When that didn't work I just turned it off. Still no go.

Sometimes the registry key controlling RD host gets hosed...
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\fDenyTSConnection make sure it's a 0 and not a 1.

Sometimes the registry key controlling RD host gets hosed...
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\fDenyTSConnection make sure it's a 0 and not a 1.
There were 2 CurrentControlSet folders. In the first one the option was set to 0. In the second one however it was set to 1, so I set it to 0. Still no go though.

What does it do when you try to connect? Does it fail and tell you that the remote computer didn't respond or failed to connect or is it doing something else?

What does it do when you try to connect? Does it fail and tell you that the remote computer didn't respond or failed to connect or is it doing something else?
It doesn't do anything. Not an error message or anything of the sort. Soon as I press enter or hit connect the Remote Desktop app will blink for half a second and then it's just right back at the connection screen. When I press connect towards the bottom I can see that the cancel button right next to it becomes active for that same half a second and then nothing and back to Remote Desktop screen and the connect button is then ready to be pressed again. I wish it would give an error. Then maybe I would have something specific to give you guys.

Ok, just wanted to confirm your problem.

....my answer may raise your eyebrow

Its your video card drivers.

Either make sure you are running an up to date video driver. If it is up to date, revert back to the version before.

I know it sounds crazy, but try it and report back here :)

Either make sure you are running an up to date video driver. If it is up to date, revert back to the version before.

I second this, I have had it happen to me before.

Also you need to make sure that your Company is using the default port 3389 for Remote Desktop Protocol. A lot of companies will disable 3389 and use a different port for security reasons. If you still have trouble connecting from work its probably because that port is blocked.

LOL. Doesn't raise my eyebrow at all. I'm just surprised I didn't hear it sooner. I read that that could be a problem but just didn't think that it was anyway possible. On top of that my driver is fairly new. But I'll see if they have one from over the last couple of weeks or something.

I second this, I have had it happen to me before.

Also you need to make sure that your Company is using the default port 3389 for Remote Desktop Protocol. A lot of companies will disable 3389 and use a different port for security reasons. If you still have trouble connecting from work its probably because that port is blocked.
Again, this is for inside my own network at home. Not work. On top of that, I had that port forwarded anyway when I was trying from inside the office and that didn't work, nor did it work on the other "open" network that I've used.

And after all that it was the videocard driver. That was the first solution I ran across on the net and I overlooked it because I thought that it was no way in hell that that was the problem. But it was. Thanks for the help.

Back