Remote Desktop connect?

Tony Montana

[H]ard|Gawd
How the hell do you set this crap up? I read the directions but i dont get it. I remember before you could make like a starter fiel with a pw you have set up then u send it and th person has to enter the pw how does it work now?

Tony Montana said:
How the hell do you set this crap up? I read the directions but i dont get it. I remember before you could make like a starter fiel with a pw you have set up then u send it and th person has to enter the pw how does it work now?

That's remote assistance not remote desktop. You can turn either on of off from my computer > properties > remote tab. The client for remote desktop is under accessories > communications > remote desktop connection.

if you need to open a firewall port to get to this machine, open up 3389.

yeah i know but how do you set it up ? I enter my freind;'s IP and try to connect but it doesnt. Does he have to do something on the other side?

You need XP Pro on the remote machine, and no the instructions provided work. If he's behind a router, you will need to set up port forwarding (tcp 3389)

Tony Montana said:
yeah i know but how do you set it up ? I enter my freind;'s IP and try to connect but it doesnt. Does he have to do something on the other side?

yes on his winxp pro he needs to do what I said my computer > properties > remote tab > check "allow user to connect remotely to this computer". winxp will automagically open up the rdp port on the SP2 firewall, you still need to open it up on your frinds router/firewall to allow you into the box on port 3389.

the suggestion for using vnc only helps you if you are using xp home on your friends computer, if you have pro rdp is already built in. you still have to open up firewall ports and configure the app with either vnc or rdp.

Does your friend have a dynamic-ip address? If so then he needs to setup some kind of managed DNS for a stable address.

Back