Remote Desktop Application Question

JC724

Weaksauce
For a Linux class I need to pick 3 of these applications to install. Does anybody know anything about them or which ones are easiets to install and use?

The applications are:

• NoMachine
    • TeamViewer
    • Cendio Thinlinc
    • TightVNC
    • X2Go
    • FreeNX
    • Xpra

NoMachine is not free.
Havent messd with Cendio Thinine, X2Go or FreeNX (As far as i know FreeNX is no longer being actively developed)
Lots of experiene with TeamViewer, TightVNC and Xpra thought.

Xpra is awesome, but probably the hardest to configure out of the three..

Do you get bonus points for mentioning one not listed?? AnyDesk works in linux much like TeamViewer, but more reliably.

I never had an issue with Teamviewer under Linux, it works perfectly, just as good as under any other OS. However I by far prefer AnyDesk as they don't spy on my usage and try to force me into buying an overpriced license.

No one's going to be able to advise on ease of installation without knowing what distro you're using.

VNC works on just about everything and is easy to set up and configure. TightVNC is just one impementation of the protocol. You can use other “brand” clients and servers together.

It isn’t the fastest or most robust option, but it works.

Apple OSX’s internal Remote Desktop is VNC based and you can connect to it with any VNC client (if you enable the standard VNC password option in Screen Sharing).

TeamViewer is dead simple to set up. It's what I use when I need to help family (non-technical) family members with stuff.

While it's not remote desktop, Discord also allows you to screenshare when in a video call.

Thanks for the insight. I am installing it on CentOS 6.7

I also need to figure out the Licensing, number of concurrent connections allowed at the same time and File transfer capability/process of doing it.

If you guys know any tricks or links to somewhere that will help me do this that would be great.

Does anybody have any guides or links to guides on how to install and use a few of these programs on CentOS

Does anybody have any guides or links to guides on how to install and use a few of these programs on CentOS
Go on youtube and search for <application name> tutorial. In most cases you'll get a video instruction.

Back