Remote Desktop access questions

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I been messing with Remote Desktop today and setting it up. I want to be able to access my desktop computer from my laptop when im at school. Reason I want to do this is because I have some programs that I can only license to one computer and ill rather have them licensed on my desktop.

Now my apartment provides the Internet throughout my complex. How would I be able to set it up so I can Remote Desktop into my desktop from my school? Do I need to get ports opened from the network adminstrator in my complex? Is this even possible? I can remote desktop from my laptop to my desktop when both computers are connected to the apartments network. Any guidance into solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Setting your PC on a static LAN IP address, open/forward port 3389 to the LAN IP of your PC...and if you have a dynamic IP account, setup a dynamic dns service like dyndns.org

On your remote client...enter the dynamic dns alias that you setup.

Or....make things easy for yourself...signup for a free logmein.com account. No need to worry about firewalls, static IPs, port forwarding, and trying to figure out what your WAN IP address is. Up and running in under 5 minutes, versus 5-30 minutes or more depending on your knowledge of setting up the first method.

Can you please elaborate more on the first method? It seems interesting and I would rather try and learn that method so I know for future purposes.

Pretty much if your network connection is a direct connection to the internet you just have to remote to that ip address with remote desktop turned on. If you are given an internal ip address(ie 192.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x) you need them to open port 3389 and point it to your desktop.

The other problem with the first method is anyone that connects via RDP to your public address at that location gets directed to your machine...

LogMeIn is simply the easiest way about it.

I'd also suggest changing the RDP port on your machine to something other than default; a quick little security measure that will deter a very casual snoop.

Actually I just noticed that my complex doesnt even use NAT routing, it just a Class A address assigned to my computer. So I can just type in the IP address at the login screen. I probably should of payed more closely attention to this detail lol instead of just assuming its all NAT routing.

wow, I hope you have some sort of firewall. If I knew that I would be causing all sorts of problems at your complex . .. . . :D:eek::D

That's good to hear. Now you just need to port forward 3389 to 3389 on your pc. Setup a DHCP reservation for your computer in your router or just give yourself a static IP. Then setup a NAT rule that says all incoming TCP3389 goto your PC. Like someone else suggested, though, I would recommend making the outside port something else like 3390 or something.

Yeah, LogMeIn Free is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :D I have it installed on my computers and my mom's two computers clear across the country just for those moments of, how do I do this? Where did this go? etc etc etc. ;)

Quick question on changing the port number? Does it have to be in a certain range? I know it cant be the ports that are commonly used for every day internet services like port 80, 25, etc. Say if I was to choose a number in the 5000 range would this be perfectly acceptable?

Quick question on changing the port number? Does it have to be in a certain range? I know it cant be the ports that are commonly used for every day internet services like port 80, 25, etc. Say if I was to choose a number in the 5000 range would this be perfectly acceptable?

well pretty much any number between 49152 and 65535, that way u won´t have a conflict problem

Back