Remote Controls!

shackrock

Limp Gawd
Hey all.

So, I was previously using an IR sensor with my harmony 880. Then, I also have a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard for other uses.

Well the harmony is beginning to slowly bite the dust.
AND
the keyboard/mouse pair is just garbage, I need to be RIGHT NEXT to the sensor for it to work!

Are there any good remote/mouse/keyboard combinations out there? that can control my HTPC, TV, receiver all in one?

If not... I am thinking about an iphone remote control for the HTPC (hipporemote) - and grabbing a new harmony for the rest I suppose... but I'd rather just have one for all.

Thanks!

Oh yea, and for a keyboard/mouse solution... it's be awesome to have a mouse built into the keyboard. Tryin to reduce living room clutter really. ha

i'm a media portal guy

I used to use a Harmony 720 + FireFly wireless but have since switched to XBMC simply because they offer one of the coolest remotes you can get for an HTPC - Android software. I use my DTV remote for the TV and a Nook Color tablet for the HTPC.. If you get a chance to demo it, it's killer (can sort through media on the tablet screen). Combine with a keyboard/mouse emulator on the Android and you're set.

If a $200 Nook Color is too expensive, you can always go for a used (Ebay) android cellphone.

Not a huge fan of using a phone as a remote, I do it as a matter of convenience. The nook color idea is intriguing though.

Not a big fan of the Harmony remote, bought a 520 years ago and didn't like the ideal of hooking it to the web to set it up.

Bought a Philips Prestigo 8008 which I liked, far easier to set-up w/o, + had a i/r learn function.

Logitech also has a mini keyboard/trackball IIRC, don't know if you are fond of trackballs though.

Not a big fan of the Harmony remote, bought a 520 years ago and didn't like the ideal of hooking it to the web to set it up.

Bought a Philips Prestigo 8008 which I liked, far easier to set-up w/o, + had a i/r learn function.

Logitech also has a mini keyboard/trackball IIRC, don't know if you are fond of trackballs though.

Interesting. I think the web setup is the best feature of the Harmony. Very easy to program,and Logitech is great with tech support.

Depending on how much you use the keyboard, this one has done well for me. I don't use it other than to configure things, but its worked fine for my purposes (and better than the closet full of other htpc keyboard combos that I have).

I have that paired with a Harmony 880 for all other needs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Depending on how much you use the keyboard, this one has done well for me. I don't use it other than to configure things, but its worked fine for my purposes (and better than the closet full of other htpc keyboard combos that I have).

+1 I have one too. Awful as a regular remote but for configuring & tweaking its great.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the trackball is terrible on the lenovo. nice unit otherwise, though.

i have 3 lenovo HTPC remotes and 1 has a terrible trackball and the other 2 are great.... so not great QC on them, but for the price they are the best i have used.

it drastically increased the WAF

My wife loves the 880 RF Harmony remote and the Lenovo KB/M

the new harmony remotes have a terrible IR baster design and will not work with my current system

the one i had worked fine but the trackball just felt cheap. a trackball that small needs to give some resistance.

universal remote: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/6441
keyboard / mouse in one: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848

I dont know of anything off hand that combines the three

Not sure if I've just been unlucky with my dinovo mini's, but I've run two now that have really glitchy wireless reception and poor range. If it weren't for that, they'd be the perfect htpc stash away keyboard/mouse. However, when I need a mous/kb on my htpc now instead of standard universal remote front end (mediaportal) I end up just using air mouse on some iOS device...works well enough for anything other than bios changes.

Back