Remote Control Question

I would like to buy a soundcard but would like to be able to turn down the music with a remote when the computer is upstairs and I'm downstairs. Is there sound cards with remotes that do that?
Thanks!

I have seen some remotes sold separate from speakers and soundcards on Newegg that are RF but I don't know if they have the sort of range you are looking for.

Unless the reciever for the remote was downstairs it would be impossible with IR. IR is strictly line of sight, any walls and it will not work. I dont know if they sell and 900mhz stuff because that would work? :confused:

the only RF remote i know of is the ATI all-in-wonder remote.... it will turn the volume up and down... just look on newegg for an RF remote and that will prob do it... if might work in another room but prob not accross the house

Anyone ever used one of these remotes? I'm trying to set up a home theatre system via my computer. I thought it would be handy to control everything with one remote. The Firefly remote claims 50 foot range. ATI claims 60 foot range. Suppose since I have an ATI X800XT PE it might be better to get that one. I wish someone could tell me if they actually work good. The Newegg reviews were mixed and only 7 reviews.
Thanks for the advice!

How much were you looking to spend? And what sound card or audio equipment do you have?

The reason I ask, is because there are some really nice multi room IR setups out there.

I don't really have any sound equipment right now. I was looking into buying some logitech 5500 speakers, klipsch 5.1 speakers, or something better if I see something I like.

I'm looking at the new Audigy 4 cards but don't know if the price difference is worth it. I might just go for the Audigy 2.

Budget is unlimited but I don't need music recording stuff or anything fancy. I just want great sound and a remote I can use in any room. I would like this to be a computer based system as I like to fill up my hard drive with mp3's.

I would also like to be able to run a movie in one room and music in a different room if possible. I can get a good deal on a Pentium D 830 3.0 dual core chip to run it so multitasking shouldn't be a problem.

I would like to get any links you may have to a multi-room setup if you have some available.

Thanks!!!

slyonedoofy said:
...Budget is unlimited...

<mentally rubbing his hands together>

really? can we really spend an unlimited amount of your money?

and you want "great" sound?

this could be fun! :D

Well.....I don't want to have to decide between speakers or a new Dodge Viper........Keep it reasonable.

slyonedoofy said:
Well.....I don't want to have to decide between speakers or a new Dodge Viper........Keep it reasonable.
get the new 2006 Corvette Z06 that is scheduled to be out at the end of this month for 65 grand which is FASTER than the Viper and spend the extra 15 grand on whatever you want including speakers! (did I mention that you can save money on gas too with the 427 V8 compared to the Viper's V10?)

Back