Remote Backup Software? Suggestions?

Blackrain

Limp Gawd
I trying to find a good site or if anyone can suggest any good remote backup software as my boss want to have a an offsite realtime remote backup soltuions.

Thanks in Advance

How much data are we talking about? couple hundred megs? gigs?

because

"offsite realtime remote backup soltuions" = $$$

google tivoli

Yeah I doubt my boss is going to spend big big bucks on it so instead of realtime I'm thinking more of the lines of maybe scheduling. We are a small shop and the data is about 20 gig. Initially I would copy the files over to the server via our gig connection then take the machine offsite and have scheduled backs via a software of our choosing.

Veritas Backup exec...now owned by symantec, but essentially the same, and a decent tape drive sounds like it would do you good. Then you can just take the tapes off site.

If you dont want to spring for the tapes you can have it backup to an external drive or hd and just take that offsite. good luck and your boss can thankyou for saving his but if he didn't already have a back up solution:p

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/veritas/index.jsp

Veritas is a very good product.

Brigthserv ARCstore is also very good when used with tapes.

We use Veritas and backup to two Firewire drives on a rotating basis that we can move. I'm not a fan of Veritas, but it works pretty well. The problems we have are probably more my fault anyway.

Either way, the hard drive solution is nice and less expensive than tapes. Just don't drop them. :D

Iron Mountain offers what you are looking for, and they do offer 24x7 continual backups for reasonable prices (~$300 per month for 15-20 Gig of storage). Obviously it is an Incremental backup process once you do the initial backup, so the bandwidth usage should be minimal...

Thanks for the responses guys and we already have BackupExec 10 backing up to 2 dat tapes but he just wants more redundancy.

We use veritas and used Arc Serve, the main reason for the switch was the qualstart tape librabry with 12TB native backup ability worked with veritas alone at the time. Yearly we pay 9 - 10k for 24X7 support and upgrades.

While I agree veritas can be confusing it is worth having the support.

KM

Back