Remote applications

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Im looking for information on remote applications and hosting services. I want to know if there are limits to the type of application that can be used. My company had a few custom trading programs created and we want to look into remote app options. If we wanted to use our own hardware, is something like MS Terminal Server the server program needed, is there other window based options?

And lastly, in terms of remote apps, the program we want to run is an auto-trading program we had created. The program is being executed from the server end of it right? Not at our end. We want to set it at our end and execute at the server end. The side that is closest to the actual trading servers the program executes through.

Last edited:
<snipped>
If we wanted to use our own hardware, is something like MS Terminal Server the server program needed, is there other window based options?
<snipped>

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (aka Terminal Services) would be the first option to look at. Citrix XenApp is an add-on product that allows for many client platforms to connect to your server/remote apps and uses it's own protocol, ICA, which is good over WAN connections.

In either case, your application needs to be Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services aware.

I don't know a thing about your hosting service question.

Terminal Services/RemoteApp would be a good place to start.

I have used Citrix XenApp and RemoteApp quite a bit, and while XenApp is a bit more efficient over WAN interfaces, it still relies on a lot of the Terminal Services setup plus its own so it is a bit more to setup initially. There also is double licensing involved (you need Citrix and MS licenses to run XenApp).

RemoteApp in Server 2012 is excellent and amazingly easy to setup. You would have a RD Session Broker (manages connections), RD Web (Website to access connections), RD Session Host (Server that has the applications installed and serves them), and optionally RD Gateway (does the RDP to SSL conversion enabling SSL access over a WAN).

All in all it is very easy to setup with the new Server Manager and interfaces.

Back