Remote Access to Home Cisco Rack

Hello - I am new to this forum and need help accessing my Cisco Rack remotely. I have the 2509-RJ Access Server installed and am able to access it via telnet within my home network. However, when I try to access it remotely, it fails each time I try. I set up a domain through dyndns.org specifically for the rack, the same thing I use for RDP to access my home computer remotely. RDP uses port 3389, which I opened up in the firewall and directed that port to my computer's internet IP. I tried opening up port 23 for telnet acccess to the IP address of the access server, 192.168.1.150. I believe the problem is with the dyndns.org domain I set up. The one I use for RDP has my public IP address attached to it. I tried doing the same thing for port 23 and routing that to the access server and it fails. Does anyone have some pointers on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Bedrock1977

Yes, I can internally, just not from the outside. I have an internal IP address assigned to it which does not work on the outside.

No. I mean if you're outside, and you telnet or RDP to your public IP, does it work? So leaving DNS out of it, just connecting to the IP.

Yes, I can internally, just not from the outside. I have an internal IP address assigned to it which does not work on the outside.

Port forward your outside IP address to your inside IP address and RDP to it. If you connect, then you know it's a Dynamic DNS issue.

Two things: 1) port 23 is probably blocked by your ISP. or more likely 2) no return route

1) Change it to some arbritrary number that you'll remember (like 7000) and then forward that to the internal IP on 23.

2) Insert a return route (default route) back through your router to the internet. (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1). The reason you don't need this at home is because you sit on the same subnet 192.168.1.x and don't require routing.

Two things: 1) port 23 is probably blocked by your ISP. or more likely 2) no return route

1) Change it to some arbritrary number that you'll remember (like 7000) and then forward that to the internal IP on 23.

2) Insert a return route (default route) back through your router to the internet. (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1). The reason you don't need this at home is because you sit on the same subnet 192.168.1.x and don't require routing.

RDP to a host isn't working either. I think he's forwarding the ports incorrectly, or the ISP is blocking both 23 and 3389. Or a combination of all these things, lol.

o missed that detail. my eyes are killing me after work these days... i'm drawing too many visios and reading too much shit about BFD and PIM convergence tuning. can't wait for vacation!

just do everything in this thread dude and i'm sure the problem will go away lol.

Back