Remote Access/Streaming Server 2008

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
Mods - Feel free to move this if its in the wrong thread

I have set up a RAID-5 4x2tb drive File server At my house that I use to stream music/movies/TV shows in my home. Pretty easy, Pretty awesome.

I want to take it another step and be able to access files from outside my network I'd like to be able to stream too though not super important.

How do I do this? Do I Need extra software? I'll do what I need to but I'm a bit stuck and google really hasn't helped me much from here. in reality what I want to be able to do is (essentially) type in my public IP address into a browser and move files back and forth and if possible stream media.

Thanks in advance guys!!

You'll probably want extra software to do this. You *COULD* do it with IIS, but it's not going to give you a nice interface.

While I haven't used it, I hear lots of people talking about Plex. I believe it has the features you're looking for (and probably a lot more).

Interesting. Can I also use plex to push data TO the server remotely? I'm not familiar with it, I always assumed it was only for viewing/consuming media.

I use SubSonic - you can upload media to it, and stream/download. But, I don't believe you can upload say, an ISO (though, honestly, I've never tried - I have an SFTP server for that). It's also nice because you can use any browser, and there are smartphone apps for it also.

I use Plex to stream media to my 2 Rokus in the house. When i want to get my media out into the world (access it from outside my home network) i use subsonic or SSH into the plex.

I get media on my machine using uTorrent. Simply torrent the files into the server and Plex and Subsonic access it from there.

Im doing all of this on a Ubuntu box but you could have the same setup on a Windows machine no problem.

I see what you mean. But I'm also using this server for backups and files and junk that's why I also want to be able to push photos or docs to it if I'm at work and want something without having to deal with emailing it. That's what I'm already doing Atari =P

Maybe ownCloud will do what you want? That and Plex on the same server would give you streaming anywhere and file upload/sync anywhere.

Back