Remote Access Software

kilobyte

Limp Gawd
so i am wondering what everyone here uses? i have 5 computer i need to make a remote connection to and have been using logmein for that, but there are some small issues i been having with it. something web based would be great so anyone have any ideas? free is also a great thing as well :)

UltraVNC. Free, and has basic file transfer application built in.

Windows Remote Desktop

I have only used it on a LAN but I have been using it for years. The Vista version seems to be more capable than the XP version (unless I looked through the options too quickly).

I thought I read that TeamViewer can be used for something like this as well. I use it now for fixing family anf friend's computers, but I have them start it up manually.

Do you need "remote assistance"....or "remote access"?

Remote assistance...remote support...there's an end user that fires it up and you connect to them.
Remote access, typically you want a full time "agent/host" running that you can connect to any time without end user intervention.

For remote access, I like the built in remote desktop.

For remote assistance, I use GoToMeeting, TeamViewer, Echogent. Not having to deal with IP addresses and firewalls, and ease of instantly getting to the end users desktop with minimal fuss...is primary concern for remote assistance apps. Teamviewer is great for that.

Years ago I used to use PcAnywhere and various flavors of VNC...but they're so antiquated now, molasses slow compared to RDC and current web based technologies.

well biggest issue is the computer access code is a pain in the a$$ to keep for all the computers i use it on. also on windows vista if there is more then 1 log in on the computer it changes some settings that does not display all the users and you have to manually time the user name and password. there really the 2 main issues but i do have a few smaller ones but i do really enjoy the fact i can stay logged in while changing users.

now to answer YeOldeStonecat question it would be for the remote access 90% of the time. i do enjoy logmein because as you said "Not having to deal with IP addresses and firewalls, and ease of instantly getting to the end users desktop with minimal fuss"

well biggest issue is the computer access code is a pain in the a$$ to keep for all the computers i use it on.
You can just use a password instead of that dropdown random character thing.
Either that or just make the computer access code the same. Whoever uses those computers won't know the difference.

Heck I use 50+ LogMeIn PCs and can remember the passwords to all them. Don't know why 5 is so hard :p

on windows vista if there is more then 1 log in on the computer it changes some settings that does not display all the users and you have to manually time the user name and password.
See as far as this goes, I'm not entirely sure what your situation is but I *think* I've seen this too. Just hit Switch User (on Vista) and then that little Login button should pop right up.

Back