Remote Access Software (No end-user confirmation)

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
Basically just need to manage remote computers without having to screw with firewalls (like Remote desktop requires... and doesn't let me go directly to each behind a single router).

I don't care if I have to install software on each one prior to using it- I just need to be able to connect to any remote machine without user intervention.

Any ideas? I prefer it to be free. I don't need the ability that often, so $100 a month for LogMeIn is rather pricey.

I don't know about UltraVNC, but RealVNC (same thing?) works rather well. We'll use it on computers 2ft away, or 60miles. Granted I have no clue what it took to get all of it working right, but it works well.

Looks OK I guess- no pricing, shot them an email...

Looks like you have to mess with repeaters and port forwarding when behind routers- not something I want to deal with (No different than Remote Desktop at that point...)

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

You can create an .exe that will connect back to the system you specify. No need to configure their firewall, only yours. I use this frequently for family members and random people who call me for support.

No need to configure their firewall, only yours.

Therein is the problem I see. If I am having to configure my firewall to FW a port, it can only go to a single system. So I would have to remote into that single system, and then into other systems behind that firewall. It is just no different than Remote Desktop for me at that point.

Although Dameware looks nice, the LogMeIn service is actually a bit cheaper...

Therein is the problem I see. If I am having to configure my firewall to FW a port, it can only go to a single system. So I would have to remote into that single system, and then into other systems behind that firewall. It is just no different than Remote Desktop for me at that point.

The way I have done this in the past is configure one port for each tech. That port gets redirected to the individual machine on my network. For example: Port 8000 goes to port 5900 on PC1, port 8001 goes to port 5900 on PC2, etc. I use DHCP reservations to make sure that the IPs stay the same on the internal network for techs with laptops.

The reason I don't like log me in is that I don't trust some one else with the keys to my castle. What's to stop a disgruntled admin from hacking into systems? What if they have a security breach? The only person I trust with the security of my networks is myself.

The reason I don't like log me in is that I don't trust some one else with the keys to my castle. What's to stop a disgruntled admin from hacking into systems? What if they have a security breach? The only person I trust with the security of my networks is myself.

Yeah that's the one thing that would hold me back from using a freebie popular service like that....I think it's OK for the home user and part time SOHO road warrior..but for someone in charge of IT..of networks/servers....I'd not trust it.

Dameware for the win! bulletproof and secure and flexible. Not the cheapest program in the world, but definately a reasonable cost for the capabilities.

Yeah you log into the server. Then from that computer you do remote desktop using internal lan ips. Its actually pretty simple.

I don't have servers on either end, though. I cannot disrupt two users when I just need to help one, if that makes sense.

Good idea about port forwarding- although I would have to configure all the firewalls as well as all my DHCP reservations (alot of work).

Why on earth doesn't *VNC bypass third party firewalls? That is really what I need to accomplish (LogMeIn does this, but for $1400 for rare use is pretty steep).

I don't have servers on either end, though. I cannot disrupt two users when I just need to help one, if that makes sense.

Good idea about port forwarding- although I would have to configure all the firewalls as well as all my DHCP reservations (alot of work).

Why on earth doesn't *VNC bypass third party firewalls? That is really what I need to accomplish (LogMeIn does this, but for $1400 for rare use is pretty steep).

Another way you could accomplish your goal with UNVC is this: If you have multiple static public IPs, configure the client to use port 80. Configure a unique IP for each technician you have. Most firewalls let port 80 out, and unless they are doing true application layer filtering, it will go through.

I use the FREE version of logmein and it's worked great. On one account there are 3 computers, and on another account there are about 6 computers, and people use that account everyday to access the various computers from home. Only downside is that more than one person can't be connected to the same computer with logmein free. I don't know if this is possible in the pro version or not.

Not to hi-jack the thread but if anyone uses the Pro version, are you guys able to have multiple people connected to the same computer at the same time?

another vote for logmein free. you can get around the file transfer problem easily.

and dameware works but drives me crazy! :) i use it at work and often have problems.

Back