remote access question, attention network gurus

doox00

2[H]4U
Hey all, I live in the US but have a place in Canada. When I am in Canada I play online poker. The question I have is I want to be able to remote into my place in Canada when I am in the US to play online poker but have read that its possible for the poker client to detect the computer is being remoted into which can result in a ban of my account and lose of all poker funds.. I obviously don't want this to happen.. is there a good way around this? I was looking at putting a linux box at my apartment in canada and creating a vpn with openvpn and then remoting in and running the poker client with Wine, which works (assume hard for the poker client to detect its being controller from a remote location when using linux/win combo?) except I also use pokertracker and a few other utils which don't seem to work with Wine. This still may be the best way to do it but would prefer sticking with a Windows box. I was even thinking of running the poker client in a virtual machine but I have read it can detect its being run in a VM as well, not sure if true but who knows.

Any suggestions on this? I am willing to spend a decent amount of cash to get a fool proof system setup. thanks all!

Remote desktop, something like Team Viewer would work. Unless what you are talking about is if the poker client is detecting those kind of apps. If you have money you can get a KVM console switch if you don't want to install anything.

Unless what you are talking about is if the poker client is detecting those kind of apps. If you have money you can get a KVM console switch if you don't want to install anything.

Not familiar with KVM console switch, I remember back in the day kvm switches to use a single kb/mouse/screen for multiple pc's.. They have something like this where you can remotely use multiple pc's? This what you mean?

** was just looking up the remote kvm, this looks promising.. if I can remote into the kvm switch and control the pc this way with no software or anything to be installed this would be perfect, would be like I was sitting in front PC.

Last edited:
Basically a box with KB, Mouse, and Video connection accessible through a network port. It would be the same as you physically being there on the computer.

any recommended good working kvm remote switches? On my end I would have full screen full resolution remote control, so it would literally be like I was sitting at the PC.

thanks again all

not to bad price wise and being prime I can test it out see how well it performs using it remotely, if poor performance I will have an easy return.. maybe I will give this one a go.

http://www.tripplite.com/remote-kvm-over-ip-kvm-switch-8-port~B022U08IP/

http://www.amazon.com/8-Port-Rackmount-On-Screen-Display-B022-U08-IP/dp/B00CWUHZQI

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Remote desktop, something like Team Viewer would work. Unless what you are talking about is if the poker client is detecting those kind of apps. If you have money you can get a KVM console switch if you don't want to install anything.

Assuming an all-Windows setup, how is TeamViewer better than the built-in Remote Desktop tool?

I thought of another possible scenario, not sure exactly if it works this way or if detectable but what about a site to site type network, have a router on each end that creates a vpn connection between to the two and treats everything like one network.. So I would not need to use software on my pc in the US or canada but have my gateway use the internet connection in canada. I am not sure if this detectable though.. if the poker client will see its travelling through the vpn to my canadian apartment to go out on the net. This make sense? I think the kvm is the easiest solution though but if a site to site works without issue that may be even better.

If you've a VPN why bother doing any of this silly remote control business? Just make sure you are not split tunneling and route all traffic across the VPN when the tunnel is up. The local traffic will route across the VPN to your place in CA and then out just like it from originated there.

If you've a VPN why bother doing any of this silly remote control business? Just make sure you are not split tunneling and route all traffic across the VPN when the tunnel is up. The local traffic will route across the VPN to your place in CA and then out just like it from originated there.

This is what I am trying to find out, as in what is the safest way without detection, that traffic is not coming from the US. I don't have anything setup yet.. In the next weeks I would like it all setup and going though.

So not sure if the site to site vpn (hardware based) is a safe way to do it, where there is no vpn software on the pc's at either end. Is it possible for client software (poker client) to detect traffic going to and from the US through the vpn? I would definitely route all internet traffic through the vpn while using the poker client of course.

I think the kvm is the rock solid way but being able to run the poker client locally and route all traffic through the site to site would be ideal. I see no way possible it could detect the kvm solution as long as no software is installed on the remote pc. I am concerned using a site to site type network that it can be detected where traffic is coming from/to. Because ultimately data will be travelling over the internet in the US.

thanks again all for your help/suggestions.

So not sure if the site to site vpn (hardware based) is a safe way to do it, where there is no vpn software on the pc's at either end. Is it possible for client software (poker client) to detect traffic going to and from the US through the vpn? I would definitely route all internet traffic through the vpn while using the poker client of course.

No. The purpose of a VPN is to encrypt all the traffic from the source and it will only be sent out unencrypted when it egresses your location in Canada.

Scenario: Your computer will establish a secure connection to your home router. If you don't do split tunneling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_tunneling) all traffic from your computer will be sent encrypted to your router in Canada, where it will be received, decrypted, and sent to your original destination.

Back