Remapping audio channels in Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by dustNbone, Aug 4, 2013.

1. dustNbone

dustNbone [H]ard|Gawd

OK, so my trusty old Sondigo Inferno sound card pulled a croaker on me (sounds like just a bad cap but it's an old PCI card and probably won't have a home in my next PC anyway), made me sad but also meant I got to go shopping.

So I came home with a shiny new Essence STX, which is very pretty and sounds excellent with the pair of Yorkville YSMp1s on my desk. I am a very happy man because of this.

The problem is that I have another pair of YSM1ps on stands behind me, and the STX is only a stereo card. So no zippy bang pows behind me without plugging the whole bunch of them into my onboard audio, and clearly this is unacceptable.

However, I would probably be OK with using onboard for the rear channels, and the Essence up front. I just can't figure out how to make Windows do this, with PulseAudio in Ubuntu it was actually quite easy. I've tried Virtual Audio Cable but I just can't get it to do what I'm asking.

I think the basic structure of what I'm looking for is a virtual 4 channel audio device, which has the FR and FL mapped to the FL and FR on the Xonar, and RL and RR mapped to FL and FR on the onboard (RealTek), though I guess it doesn't matter which jack I need to use there.

I know lots of people here use external stereo DACs, so I'm confident a clever solution is forthcoming :)

Dustin