Reliable router for small business

Daita

n00b
We're currently setting up a "technology package" for an up and coming auto chain and we've got I think 4 stores up and running right now. 2 of them have had their Netgear FVS318v3 routers die already (been about 4 months) and I don't want to deal with constantly swapping these things out. One of them had just died poof lights stopped working etc the other has the dreaded have to reset it everyday problem.

Routers don't need to do much besides just share the inet connection to about 4 computers and provide basic forwarding so we can get to them for remote administration. Only need wired not doing wireless in these locations but if a wireless would work more reliably and still provide 4-8 wired ports that would be fine as well.

So what am I looking at costwise (hoping to keep it under $200) and what kind of brands should I be looking at for a reliable router thats not going to require being reset or run the risk of dying too much (I know thats a little hard to predict). I originally wanted to build up IPCop boxes so that we had a ssh tunnel into the network and for reliablity but haven't been able to find a small affordable solution for that.

Look at the netopia cayman series...also the linksys should be fine too?

Have you ruled out factors such as power problems, heat problems, and other environmental issues? I mention this because these are the most overlooked items that can cause premature failure in equipment.

You can pick up older cisco 2500's pretty cheap, cisco 1700 series are nice and small.

Make sure everything is on a good UPS and there isnt crazy amounts of dust on stuff.

I took apart a catalyst the other day and the fiber card had like 1/2 an inch of dust covering it.

I personally ran a fvs318 for about a year with no issues. A friend also had one for about a year (the other end of the VPN). No issues.

I second SJConsultant comments about environmental. Especially power. A inexpensive UPS / surge suppression system is well worth it's investment.

I have 2 sitting around for small side jobs. When I do a small job I replace them..

I pick up Belkin 550 Va's for $33 ($18 shipping , but you can buy up to 5 for the same shipping) Making it about $37 Ea if you buy 5 at a time. NOTE to get them at %50 price, enter the super secret coupon code 12345 at checkout (no this is not a joke. Belkin has run this %50 coupon code for a couple of years now.)

I run these on all of my "electronics" at home. I used to have anomalous issues with no explanation. Equipment would just die, odd rebooting issues. using these on almost everything has greatly decreased the amount of these odd issues I was having.

One of em was run off a UPS the other was run off an APC surge protector. They're both in an open environment in a back room seperate from the auto shop stuff with the rest of the phone/internet equipment so they probably pick up some junk but not much more than the computers in the front offices and what not. We do still have one of the FVS318s running but right now I'm just looking for some more options because 2 in a few month isn't that great of a start.

I can't rule heat out for one of the stores as its in Vegas and the equipment room may not have been air conditioned. The other one sits here in portland, or in the back room with all the phone/cable modem and is in a pretty cool/regulated room so I seriously doubt that ones heat but thats also the one only on a surge protector not a UPS.

Back