Reliable home printer?

SamE

Limp Gawd
I am fed up with cheap inkjet printers that don't last, and I am willing to spend a little more to get better quality and reliability.
In your experience, what is a good color inkjet brand/printer for light home use?
Is laser an option for home use?
Who has the best refillable inks?
Do all the manufacturers use DRM in their cartridges now?

I was tired of my ink heads clogging since I rarely print. I went out and bought a Samsung C460 when they were on sale for like $230 a few months ago. Been happy with it. You can't configure it via the integrated print server, which kinda sucks and it doesn't have a bypass tray for envelopes, but it's still a nice laser.

Laser, laser, laser. Get a B&W laser. The Brother 22xx models are good and reliable. You'll spend so much less on toner than you do on ink, and the printing is faster and higher quality.

Do your color printing at the local copy shop or office supply store. Their color lasers will produce far better results than an inkjet and be much less of a hassle, not to mention cheaper in the long run. Do your photo printing at Walmart or an online service.

Laser, it's the only way to go. For B&W laser, cheap is fine, I've got a Brother HL2240 which was $50 on sale, works good. If you want color, look into a small workgroup model. I've always had good luck with HP in that area.

I really like the Brother printers, and Samsung makes a good value as well. I currently have a Samsung, I got some deal on it where I paid like $50 for it a few years ago. It's been really solid. I should have picked up the $40 toner cartridges they had when I bought this, because toner is usually $80-100--but it lasts a long time.

Some inkjets are now even getting expiration dates on them, and even if they haven't been used and haven't dried out, the printer won't print.

My only justification these days for inkjets is for photos. But, if you want some prints, just take it to a local store and have prints made. Cheaper that way then trying to maintain a cheap inkjet at home.

Brother Laser all the way.

I used HP, Cannon, and Samsung laser printers but Brother just has it right all around.

Samsung uses a chip to prevent refilling toners and such.

There is a way around it but overall cost the Brother is cheaper.

After a string of cheap printers that ended up costing more because of the crappy ink cartridges, I did a lot of research, and we ended up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkFor...0091DPYDU/ref=psdc14_t3_B0091UBCB6_B0091DPYDU

You can also get the step down, which is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkFor...e=UTF8&qid=1396125906&sr=8-2&keywords=wf+3520

So far the 3540 has been the best printer I've ever had. All the ink cartridge colors are separate. So instead of having to refill the "color" cartridge, you can just buy the refill for the "red" and not have to get the blue or yellow. We're getting crazy high yield rates out of the black cartridge, and I'm happy with the savings we're going to accrue compared to the Samsung Laser and the Epson inkjet we had previously.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would recommend you an inkjet but I can't in good faith pick one that would do better than the laser/local copy shop scenario. Inkjet is a relic from the 90's and the only time I'd really recommend one is when used on a shoddy power circuit because when they warm up they do chew through amps. They are reliable, cost effective and produce razor sharp black and white. I am so happy with my Brother HL2280DW its not funny. The local Walmart prints photos that look like developed film and are cheaper than ink cartridges and specially coated paper

I just love my OKI mb451w B/W all in one laser printer. It hasn't let me down yet.
Something I can not say for HP printers. Cost was very reasonable. I am not
annoyed with endless ads or bad software like I was with HP.

Back