Reliable Driver Update software/general software updater?

nilepez

[H]F Junkie
What's the best options for software that monitors drivers and downloads the software (or at least provides a link to the download) ? I'd prefer not pay for it, but I'm OK with it, so long as it's not an annual subscription.

On a similar note, what's the best general software update monitor? I've used PSI for years, but it's going away and frankly it's been lacking since I was forced to go to 3.0. I've seen some recommendations for DUMO

Thanks all

SUMO (made by the same person as DUMO) seems to work pretty well for general software updates and I was able to update all my applications to the latest versions relatively quickly. DUMO on the other hand gives "latest" version numbers for drivers that are not available from the vendors, only on dodgy-looking warez sites and frankly I'm not touching that stuff. If I'm going to download a driver for Intel chipsets, I want a link to it on Intel's website, with a valid certificate for the page. I'm going to assume that drivers found on mega.co.nz are probably virused or ransomware.

I've been using Secunia PSI for nearly ten years, but now that they are at the end of life I have been forced to consider the options. I read an article recently, forget where that recommended five replacements. The one I liked the best is Patch My PC Updater. It is even more thorough than Secunia and less buggy. Updates are effortless. I can't swear by it yet, but things have been pretty confident so far. Their forum is built right into the app which I found unique and progressive. Control over the app and how it functions is entirely through with endless ways to tweak. Even has a scheduler built-in. Quite well thought out and free. YMMV GL

I've been using Secunia PSI for nearly ten years, but now that they are at the end of life I have been forced to consider the options. I read an article recently, forget where that recommended five replacements. The one I liked the best is Patch My PC Updater. It is even more thorough than Secunia and less buggy. Updates are effortless. I can't swear by it yet, but things have been pretty confident so far. Their forum is built right into the app which I found unique and progressive. Control over the app and how it functions is entirely through with endless ways to tweak. Even has a scheduler built-in. Quite well thought out and free. YMMV GL
Thanks. This seems to be a bit better than the free version of Sumo...and frankly better than PSI, which appears to have missed most required updates

I prefer SUMo because it actually lets you manually install your programs. Plus when auto installing apps with Patch my PC Updater it leaves a desktop icon which I don't want. That and it installs under Admin account I want it under my local or limited user account.

I prefer SUMo because it actually lets you manually install your programs. Plus when auto installing apps with Patch my PC Updater it leaves a desktop icon which I don't want. That and it installs under Admin account I want it under my local or limited user account.
When I tried SUMO, it wouldn't install anything. It'd present me with a download link but when I clicked on it it required me to purchase a subscription. Also, AFAICT, you can manually install with patchmypc. I know I had to click a button to have it download/install updates I was interested in (and I could choose which ones it should do that with). It's pretty close to what PSI 2.x was , but it covers more types of software than PSI ever did.

If you are using Windows 10 and do not know exactly where to get drivers, for many drivers you are better off just using the automatic update feature in Device Manager to download the drivers from Windows Update.

A few good examples:
1) Certain Realtek drivers, even newer ones, are missing the audio control panel on Windows 10 1709. The Microsoft ones do work. However, I did recently notice the 8403 ones from outside sources now work again
2) I had one driver program asking me to update my ASMedia 3.1 drivers.. The ones it pointed me to would kill my USB controller. Downloading from other sites it worked OK.
3) I've also had a few systems where the Intel GPU driver from Microsoft's source is also the latest and only one that can be installed. Sometimes with older hardware Intel works with Microsoft to provide drivers for Windows Update that are not available elsewhere.

Obviously things like Nvidia/AMD GPU drivers are going to be updated faster by manually downloading them as they do take a while to get on the Windows site.

If you're not sure how to handle it, my recommendation would be to open up device manager and use the auto update feature in there. If you use a program like this that shows a newer driver, just be cautious that you may have to roll back. I think they make good programs to form a baseline to start working with, but take their advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
You know, Driver Agent (DA) is advertised with AIDA64. Knowing AIDA64 is a legit program I would assume DA is as well. But DA is flagged as malware in several areas.

Does anyone have feedback on DA?

I use Snappy Driver Installer Origin.

It is NOT the same thing as Snappy Driver Installer. It's a fork, because the original SDI was hijacked at some point and started carrying a ton of malware.

It's free and open source. And works great.

http://www.snappy-driver-installer.org

Holy shit, thank you for posting this. 17GB Torrent of drivers but it found over 20 things that I had an updated driver for that I would've never found searching for them individually, you sir get a gold star.

Back