Reliable 802.11n router upgrade to a WRT54GL ?

Valnar

Supreme [H]ardness
After a lot of testing and research years ago, I decided on the Linksys WRT54G router for my remote users. It was the most reliable router at the time and we have few problems with them. We switched to the WRT54GL when Linksys neutered their WRT54G, but we do have WRT54G's as old as v2 out there - about 300+ total routers. We use the stock Linksys firmware on most of them, and DD-WRT on a few special cases.

It's time to revisit our standard and I am interested in looking at something with a faster processor and 802.11n support. Because of the amount we buy, I would prefer to stick with a commonly available brand, like Linksys, Netgear, Belkin or Buffalo Tech.

My requirements:

1) Inexpensive, similar in price to the WRT54GL (under $80)
2) Very reliable with the stock manufacturer's firmware
3) Capable of supporting DD-WRT if necessary
4) Faster processor than the current WRT54GL for higher broadband speeds
5) 802.11n draft support

So, which firewalls should I consider? What is the best pick these days?

Thanks.

I am also interested in subjective opinions from users, since specs don't tell how reliable a device is.

im waiting for a 'n' version of the wrt54g myself... with gigabit support and tomato firmware capable....

im waiting for a 'n' version of the wrt54g myself... with gigabit support and tomato firmware capable....

The baby N units came out quite a while ago......
WRT150N
WRT160N early versions
Broadcom chipsets, so DD-WRT is supported.

The wrt54"G" is a "G" unit, it will not have an "N" replacement. Its "G" replacement already came out..the WRT54G2..which is using the slim black flying saucer case as the other newer Linksys models.

I was thinking the WRT150N since it was Broadcom based, but I don't know how reliable it is... or how it compares to other brands/models based on the same Broadcom cpu.

It seems Linksys decided to change the CPU on the later WRT160N and WRT300N models. I know there is no guarantee that won't happen to the 150N units, but the venerable WRT54G model did last a long time with hardly a major change.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but it worries me that the Linksys WRT150N isn't even in the poll.

It also seems most people still prefer the older 802.11g models. The reason for that may be more than just familiarity. Perhaps there truly is no reliable replacement yet. The DD-WRT forums take forever to wade through, which is what I was trying to avoid. :(

Edit: I discovered the WRT150N was already replaced by the WRT160N, which in turn had it's Broadcom processor replaced by a Ralink on the latest revision. Damn Linksys.

If you can increase your budget to about $95, I would suggest the D-Link DIR-655. I was just deciding between that one and the Linksys WRT54GL and ended up going for the D-Link.

or a bit more $ and get an airport extreme basestation.

Solid radio, apple firmware is supposedly as stable as DD-wrt

Back