Release date stupidity.

Wrench00

2[H]4U
I don't understand why companies always release games on a weekday specifically on a monday or tuesday. In Japan you can't release games on a weekday for school reasons. Why can't game companies release games on a friday or saturday? No they release it on a monday so I have to wait the rest of the fucking week before I can play.

Pisses me of to no end.

I don't understand why companies always release games on a weekday specifically on a monday or tuesday. In Japan you can't release games on a weekday for school reasons. Why can't game companies release games on a friday or saturday? No they release it on a monday so I have to wait the rest of the fucking week before I can play.

Pisses me of to no end.

:confused: You can't play it before the weekend, so nobody should? That's how I interpreted your post at least.

Because people go out with friends and such on friday and saturday.

If you cant play until a weekend then why does the day it is released on even matter to you?

1. Shipment's to stores don't happen on weekends.

2. Gives a full week for the game to be on sales charts (Charts come out on Monday so games usually come out on Tuesdays along with DVDs...etc.)

I work stupid amount of hours. Weekend is the only time I have off, specifically Sunday. You know people that have responsibilities, families, kids usually have the weekends to do stuff.
Why can they do Thursdays as release dates? What about digital distributions?

Why MUST you buy/play it on day of release? Play it when you buy it and grow up!

What a fuckin' waste of server space :(

my gripe with release dates is why aren't better games released during the summer? i get that games get good sales during the holidays, but borderlands 2, for instance, would have been great to play during the summer. it's a game with lots to do, and good content. seems like every year they always save the good stuff for the end.

anyhow, the day of the week doesn't matter. quit whining

I think they like to release games a few days before the next scheduled shipments come in, so if they sell out then they can get re-stocked with the least amount of delay possible.

Wah. Your sense of entitlement goes well with your tears of rage.

my gripe with release dates is why aren't better games released during the summer? i get that games get good sales during the holidays, but borderlands 2, for instance, would have been great to play during the summer. it's a game with lots to do, and good content. seems like every year they always save the good stuff for the end.

anyhow, the day of the week doesn't matter. quit whining

because not every person who buys games is a 12 year old zit faced kid who has summer vacation.....:rolleyes:

weeknights i have more time to do things than i do weekends...

Personally I'd rather it on weekdays anyway, can grab it on my way to or from work depending on whether I am working late or early, then if I want to play it I can stay up late and just be slightly tired for work the next day.

Personally I don't care what day it releases on....I only care when it's on sale for 5 dollars on Steam.

3ojw8w.jpg

I have to admit it's annoying that pirates get to play earlier than paying customers. Especially when every PC game nowadays has a digital release.

yeah, not defending software piracy, but alot of those nasty software pirates will go and buy the game if they enjoy it. yes, kind of annoying that pirates get to play them earlier, but with the release of decent demos being non existent as of late i dont really blame them.

Why not just buy it and play it when you have time?

I don't get it. :confused:

Yep. Personally I'd rather pick it up on a weekday and let it sit, then fire it up first thing on the weekend. Who wants to waste part of a weekend just buying the game?

You gotta wonder if he even tried just buying games on Steam. Takes just a minute and he can just play whenever he has time.

Release days are set by retailers. They have days they like things to happen on. Since retail is still a very important part of the games market, publishers do what the retailers want.

Heck, Amazon gets em to you quick too. Usually by the day of or day after release anyway.

Ding, Ding.......we have a winner.

You want a game the day it hits the stores?
Don't want to drive to the store for said hard copy?
Amazon will deliver it to your door, on the release day, free of charge for Prime customers.

I like the explanation about Tuesday being a full week until the sales charts are released again. Plus Tuesday is most likely a slow shopping day otherwise so it brings people into the stores to buy chips.

Honestly, I rarely touch a game until the weekend, so unless there is a benefit to pre-order from Amazon, I just D/L from Steam, using my blistering 1Mb/second Time-Warner broadband service.

Also releasing a game on a slow day is a great way to spread the sales out and get a sense for how much volume you will have then you can have your second order full filled by the weekend. So there are alot of reasons to release games in the early week but the not many at all to think of for releasing on the weekend. Unless day 1 sales become a big deal.

I used to buy software for a retail chain... Tuesday is used because it also is the same day that other media releases (video, music and books) release. This way only one day is tied up with the stocking and merchandising of new releases and by having it early in the week it gave us the ability to get the first few days of actual sales data so we could place orders by end of week for the next stock shipments into the stores.

Weekends also are particularly bad for software releases as potential server issues / emergency patches may not happen on a timely manner as employees could be hard to reach over a weekend period. By releasing early in week these issues can be handled during normal working hours.

I work stupid amount of hours. Weekend is the only time I have off, specifically Sunday. You know people that have responsibilities, families, kids usually have the weekends to do stuff.
Why can they do Thursdays as release dates? What about digital distributions?

How is this anyone else's problem except your own? Do you want an entire established industry to cater to your needs when no one else has a problem with it?

Back