Relaunching World of Warcraft

Nahawand

Limp Gawd
This idea hit me couple of days ago, and today after browsing the forums and seeing all the hate about Diablo and WoW it got rolling again, what do you guys think about blizzard creating couple of servers in each region with the first ever patch version and going on from there taking exactly the same time it took the current game to reach what it is now, well you get the idea, I'm sure a lot of people would jump right on especially veterans who know a lot about the game and maybe wanna get those realm firsts using those old legendary items or opening the gates and getting the mount ?

off course with a couple of tweaks keep the achievements the dungeon finder and the current textures and graphics engine and the new quest tracker.

Maybe with the version right before BC. Might be cool.

Call it "WoW classic".

Bring back the 30-hour-long Alterac Valleys

The carpet of skeletons stretching from Tarren Mill to Southshore.

The ganking outside of Molten Core

Plowing through an empty Stormwind to get to the tram and invade Ironforge from the rear

I swore off the game, but this actually sounds pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Already been suggested and rejected by Blizzard.

Their thoughts was they are looking forward and not back.

I think it was suggested back at wrath time when the game was still a big cash cow with no subscription losses but now after all this time it may be a good move, like 1 or 2 servers per region not a lot of people will even know what it is or even like it, the new casual gamer will think it's a step backward but for a veteran it will be nice.

Already been suggested and rejected by Blizzard.

Their thoughts was they are looking forward and not back.

Yep. It's worked out great for EQ , it drew back thousands of players (and therefore subs) and people LOVED it.

I didn't go back because EQ is all said and done for me but I would go back to a pre-BC WoW or BC WoW with glee.

But to think Blizzard would ever do this to "make up for loss subs" is nuts. They have 10.6 million active subs , they are doing better than "fine" they are in fact wiping everyone else across the floor. They have a new expansion coming out which will bump up the active subs for at least 6 months plus expansion sales will be strong.

Thinking Blizzard would ever consider this is like asking if they can remove the milking machine from the cow's tits so that old farmer Joe can slow milk them for a time. It just is not going to happen.

EQ did it. Reset all of the unlocked content on servers and forced Guilds and players to do the world events from scratch. Was pretty cool. Sure they cashed in like crazy. I am not sure how WoW would pull something off like this. WoW expansions were simply let me jump on my magic carpet/unicorn/bicycle/tricycle and see the new zones. In EQ you had to actually conduct a massive server wide crusade to unlock the content. Was pretty rad.

Been there, done that. As much as I enjoyed being one of the few who had naxx on farm before BC I would never want to go back to that. The game was just too hardcore back then and I just don't have time for it. I am fine with being casual as hell but still able to do the hardest content via hard modes with little time investment.

The old AV would be awesome though.

EQ's "progression servers" were lame. Combat and casting systems were revamped several years ago (around 2004) which made old world (low HP) content very easy, even with original gear.

Pre-BC was the best WoW for me, stopped playing shortly after ... Molten Core, Deathwing lair, Onxyia .... good times.

EQ's "progression servers" were lame. Combat and casting systems were revamped several years ago (around 2004) which made old world (low HP) content very easy, even with original gear.

It made them a boatload of money. It was also fun.

You can't get the original feeling back, so no.

I think this is the most important thing to remember. It might be the same world and it sounds like a fun idea. But it would never feel the same as it did back then, sadly.

I think this is the most important thing to remember. It might be the same world and it sounds like a fun idea. But it would never feel the same as it did back then, sadly.

It can't, and it won't. Mostly because everyone knows what they need to do. The fun would last a month. Tops.

Part of the fun back then was that it was an enormous world free for people to explore. The game was young, and no one knew what the 'best/it' thing was. That's part of what made the experience truly AN EXPERIENCE. Nowadays it would just be a niche thing that people would LIKE to have, but don't really NEED.

While I don't advocate piracy at all I will say that there are a few free private servers out there that have a very good pre-bc game. They have all the quests, raids, and Bgs scripted and working. They have a fairly large community with little lag. I personally haven't played any yet but I have read a lot about them and was thinking of doing it.

I honestly don't consider it piracy because you are playing a game that isn't available anymore and is 7 years old but I still wont link it here. Just search around.

I was around during the last phases of vanilla WoW. Right when Naxx was launched. Id love to play it in its original state (at launch)

Yeah it drew people back for EQ...(for Vanilla EQ through Kunark/Luclin). Once you reach the shit expansions it's over anyway. WoW didn't have that same appeal to me that EQ did. I went back and played the older expansions to relive the glory days and it was awesome. WoW...not so much. Wouldn't even consider it.

I would go back instantly if i can play on Vanilla servers.

But there is always the "private" route. I know there is one thats fully scripted but I lag horribly on there so never really got to enjoy it.

I'd be down. Classic, and TBC were probably some of the best times I had playing WoW.

It'd be cool, but I probably wouldn't go back.

It doesn't matter how many versions you go back, you can make the game "older" but you can't bring back the old players, the feeling of newness that those "old worlds" had, or really most of the social aspects that made the old game great.

For me, wanting to go back to Old WoW because it was fun is like re-enrolling in college at 35 because it was a blast at 18. I liked the atmosphere of old WoW, but things change and people change.

Great analogy. It could be a lot of fun, but I'm not so sure it would be worth it for me.

Forgot about this. Those were some fun times. When the opposing faction took over the town and you couldn't do any questing.

Your quest became "Stop the Invaders". By far some of the funnest World PvP ever, something that both Blizzard and other MMOs have tried to recreate for years.

I can't believe how many times i've gone back to WoW. Maybe it's nastalgia, but really--there's just something about the mechanics of that game that feel right. World PvP is amazing.

All the private servers run 1.12 or something, the patch right before BC. I'd love a truely vanilla experience so i can aimed shot people out of my shadow meld again :drool:

I would absolutely love it if Blizzard took the PvP and classes in WoW and made a free to play battle arena game like warhammer just did.

I'd play the SHIT out of that! AB/WSG/EoTS/AV would be good fun. Maybe scale the teams down a bit, but yea--i bet they could make a pretty popular game like LoL has.

Back