Reinstalling XP But Keeping Programs

AuDioFreaK39

Limp Gawd
Is there a way to reinstall only Windows XP (Media Center 2005, a.k.a. xp pro) operating system files but still be able to keep all of your programs? My comp has a partition on the hard drive that restores the whole computer back to its original factory settings (its a Dell Dimension 8400).

Typically you can:

Insert XP CD

Boot from CD

Do not go to recovery console.. but rather install...

When it searches for a version of windows, a prior installation should show up, and a list of options should come up as well.

In that list... you should see "REPAIR". Select that and follow instructions like a typical windows install.

I'm not sure.. but this option MAY or MAY NOT be avaliable in WinXP Home...

Best way to go if not feeling like formatting or reinstalling programs, but this will not give you the same fresh feel that a clean sweep will do.

My $0.02:
Step 1: Document the current version of software in use. Nothing sucks more than being half way through a Starcraft campaign, reinstalling the software and patching to the latest version only to find out your gamesaves aren't compatible with the current version.
Step 2: Back up all program 'state' files, i.e. game saves, configs, etc. to a separate partition or better yet a separate physical drive. It's better to make it a separate physical drive for the backup and then disconnect it while doing step 2
Step 3: Nuke the original (normally C:\) partition and reinstall the OS
Step 4: Reinstall softwares, patch to correct version.
Step 5: Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Wipe hands on pants.

will it put the factory windows registry settings back to normal? cause thats mainly why i wanna reinstall

A factory 'restore' is nothing like actually installing windows. It just wipes the partition & puts a pre-made image with a bunch of crap in it on the drive.

For the most part, you're SOL if you want to re-install without losing your software. Some times, if you have a 'real' XP CD, you can do a 'repair' install, but because of the way most modern Windows software is, they don't work right after a 'fresh' install.

Back