Reinstalling Windows, Partitions and Paging File - Help

Xaeon

Limp Gawd
So I'm reinstalling windows on my notebook. I have a single 40 gb hdd, and I want to get optimal performance out of it. I'm thinking about doing this 1 of 2 ways:

-----------------------

1. Two partitions. First partition for OS and paging file, approx. 5 gigs. Second partition for apps and documents, etc.

2. Three partitions. First for OS, second for paging file and third for apps, documents, etc. If I went this route I would want to make the paging file partition hidden somehow. I remember reading how to do this once, but have since forgotten.

------------------------

My questions are these:

1. Which option is better? I realize the second option will result in slightly lower performance than the first, but I also think it would be easier to keep the paging file partition clean of unwanted junk with the second. If there is a way to keep anything unwanted from writing to the OS partition, including myself, That would also be good.

2. If I go with the second option, I would like to know how big to make each of the 2 first partitions. I don't know how big to make the OS partition, and would like suggestions on how large to make the paging file partition. For reference, I have 1 gig of ram and the most intensive program I run is Photoshop CS.

Thanks for any help you can give.

The First option is gonna be your best bet.

The Partition size I would use is 5-7 Gig for O/S and pagaing.

Use the Rest up for everything else. Also Let windows Deal with the paging file. Don't messaround with it. Years of development have gone into XP's paging system messing around with it just reduces performance.

Personally I would have them all on the same partition. Partitioning a Disk just seems like a waste to me personally. you get no performance improvements. and if you've got a Multiple disk machine (8 Disk's and counting in my main rig Sig needs updating) Then Beating Extra Parttions just clutters up you my computer screen.

the greater advantage of a seperate partition for the pagefile, is typically when its a seperate HDD on a different channel
in this case on a single drive, keeping the pagefile with the OS will likely mean less degree of arc for the arm to swing through for most access
(and the pagefile is the most accessed file, generally followed by the registry hive and various system files baring heavy ap access which is under user control)

and I too would keep all the aps on the main partition (at least all the registry dependent aps)
and put the data on a different partition

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=741512
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026640546&postcount=6

Thanks for the input. Barring other suggestions, I most likely will go with option one. If I could put my paging file on a separate drive, I definitely would. As for putting the apps on the main partition, is there any easy way to change the size of partitions after they are created? Can this be done with Partition Magic or any other program? I just don't know how many programs I will be installing and don't want to be stuck with a partition thats too small. Space is at a premium for me.

Thanks again for the input. Let me know if anyone has more to say as I won't be doing anything on this for a couple days yet.

Partition Magic does a good job of that
but do one thing at a time, every problem Ive seen that people had with Partition Magic was when they where doing multiple tasks
(Resize + Move + resize ect) do something then apply changes and if necessary reboot
I only use Partition Magic to resize and move partitions, I create and format partitions with windows disk management (Start > run > (type) diskmgmt.msc) or the initial install CD
and I dont try to "merge" partitions with Partition Magic, that is often problematic
make the rescue disks for Partition Magic too

that partition is your system partition (containing the ntldr and boot.ini)
But if it was a simple data partition youd be able to use microsofts diskpart.exe
which is a commandline tool to grow a partition into adjecent unallocated space
but it doesnt work on the system partition sorry

Back