Reinstalling Windows on an SSD

Spetsnaz201

Limp Gawd
I have a HP Ultrabook that has a 500gb sata drive.

Would like to upgrade to a 120gb Samsung SSD.

I do not have the windows 7 disk, but do have a recovery partition on my sata drive.
'
How would I go about re-installing windows 7 from that partition? Also, would I need to call microsoft to have them reactivate my windows or could I just use the same serial # again?

Either download the ISO and use the serial on the bottom of your laptop, or clone your drive then do the reinstall after cloning.

easy... get an external enclosure to put your new ssd in, plug it in through USB, download/install this software:
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

Then clone your mechanical drive to your SSD. When it's finished, you take the mechanical out, and install your SSD in its place. I've done this several times and it's quite easy.

Good luck!

You can create a bootable recovery USB/CD using HP Recovery Manager>Recovery Media Creation in your laptop. Then you can use that recovery USB to install the OS to your SSD or simply clone the recovery partition from your existing HDD to your new SSD.

easy... get an external enclosure to put your new ssd in, plug it in through USB, download/install this software:
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

Then clone your mechanical drive to your SSD. When it's finished, you take the mechanical out, and install your SSD in its place. I've done this several times and it's quite easy.

Good luck!

I hope this isn't a "stupid question." :rolleyes: I just went to the easeus website and noticed that I could get free DISK COPY HOME software that was limited to 1 TB disk capacity and had no other real features, OR for the same price ;) I could get TODO BACKUP software that supported 2TB+ disk capacity and had nice features for imaging, backup, etc. Why would I want the DISK COPY HOME? Am I missing something?:confused:

One is a cloning software (1:1 copy), the other is a backup. I'm assuming the cloning software allows you to select one drive and clone it to another, whereas the backup will ask you what files you want backed up, and where you want them saved.

Good question, and I agree it's confusing. However, I would believe there are differences with them. If all else fails, download both and see what would work for your scenario. You'd only be out the time to download and install. :)

I am back with one more question.

I do not want to clone my existing hard driive. I just want a clean install .

I have an HP laptop and that came with a parition with the recovery software. Do I need to put this on a usb drive and then boot from the drive to do a clean install?

or can I download an ISO of windows 7 home premium from microsoft and just use my oem key?

which one is a better idea? thanks for your input!

I am back with one more question.

I do not want to clone my existing hard driive. I just want a clean install .

I have an HP laptop and that came with a parition with the recovery software. Do I need to put this on a usb drive and then boot from the drive to do a clean install?

or can I download an ISO of windows 7 home premium from microsoft and just use my oem key?

which one is a better idea? thanks for your input!

Clean install is my preferred method, keeps manufacturer bloat away.

If there is anything you like from HP, you can always download from their site and reinstall.

I would make a back up up of the recovery partition though in case you want to sell/return to HP for warranty.

Using HP's recovery doesn't allow a clean install, you'll have their preset modified Windows install.

Thanks

One more question

The laptop im putting the SSD in is theHP Envy 4 Ultrabook. It has a 500gb mechanical drive as well as a 32gb mSSD. I have always been confused as to what the mSSD actually is. I was under the impression it's part of mechanical drive but just a cache?

If the mSSD is a separate component, what do I need to with it if I upgrade to an SSD? Do I keep the mSSD or remove it also?

Thanks

One more question

The laptop im putting the SSD in is theHP Envy 4 Ultrabook. It has a 500gb mechanical drive as well as a 32gb mSSD. I have always been confused as to what the mSSD actually is. I was under the impression it's part of mechanical drive but just a cache?

If the mSSD is a separate component, what do I need to with it if I upgrade to an SSD? Do I keep the mSSD or remove it also?

Typically, due to the size, it'll be part of some caching. Either Intel's version or HP's if they have one.

It'll be useless with your main drive being an SSD.

Depending on HP's bios, you might be able to use the mSATA SSD as another storage device.

On my Lenovo Y580, I used the mSATA slot, which was empty, with a 256GB SSD as my main drive and kept my original HDD as storage.

Back