Reinstalling Windows - a couple questions..

dopey080

n00b
okay, so i've reinstalled windows before and i know how to do it, but since the last time i did it, i got another hd (Maxtor 100 gig, 7200 rpm, its the slave drive) and i wanna reinstall windows but i was just wondering if i reinstalled windows would it only reinstall it on the master drive and have everything on there erased, or would it erase everything on my 100 gig hd too?

Sorry for the noob question, im not that great with computers,

Thanks

P.S - anyone know where to get vista? (also a noob question, but i gotta ask it)

You would only lose data on the drives/partitions you specifically tell it fo format. So as long as you only format the drive/partition your installing to your other drives/partitions should be fine. If any doubt remains, just unplug the drive you don't want to lose data on before you reinstall.

It will not erase any of the drives / partitions unless you tell it to. There is a step in the setup that asks you what partition you want to install Windows on and you have the options to delete / format / or do nothing with your drives.

Vista RC1 Download

okay guys, i need some more help. I placed my XP cd in my drive and i click on install windows. It says "you have a newer version of windows on your computer than the one on this disk" and the details tell me to boot from the cd. So i go and do that and a screen pops up that says "Press any key to boot from CD..." and press enter, space, any number (i've tried multiple times) and it just wont boot from the CD, it goes right to starting up windows. I also went into my BIOS and i changed the boot from C:\ to CD rom drive and the same thing happens. Someone Help

I presume that it said it because you have Vista installed on the partition. Am I right?

no sir, its cause this version of XP that i have on disk is with SP1 and i have SP2 on my computer. I tried removing SP two just so i can reinstall and then reinstall SP2, but i dont have enough space on my C drive (where xp is installed) to remove it...

Try making a slipstream disk with SP2 slipstreamed into the windows install. While you're at it, you might even slipstream all the updates into it. You can probably find instructions somewhere on these forums or google it. unattended.msfn.com has some instructions as well.

Or you have option #2 - Pop in DBAN or Active@Kill Disk or GParted and format the partition and then proceed with the reinstallation.

Back